Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Server Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

gselliott

Technical User
Jul 10, 2003
GB
I have been given the task of replacing a Windows 2k Server that is quickly coming close to the end of it's life.

The organisation I am working for only has 1 2k Server, I am trying to get them to upgrade to 2003 but not having much luck at the moment so I need to find a quick and painless as possible way of replacing this server.

I have been having a quick look online at a couple of servers on the usual sites (Dell, HP etc) and none seem to support 2k server any more so no drivers available I'm just wondering if it's going to be a hard task to find something ready built? Has anyone got any suggestions where and what to buy? The organisation is small only 20 - 30 users so don't need anything special.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Why are they so reluctant to upgrade operating system along with the Hardware? Its not like its going to be much cheaper to get a server with 2K pre-installed.

You'll be hard pressed to find a pre-built server with 2K installed.

Most now give you the option of what to install but its either 2003 or now 2008. however you can buy the server hardware sans Operating System so you can install your own. So if you have the Install Discs for 2K you can use those to install it on the new Hardware. however this would not be advisable as Microsoft tends to limit and eventually discontinue support on older Operating Systems.

So with all that said I'm not sure what the problem to upgrading is or what they think it is.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Oh by the way the Windows 2000 server forum is here:
forum96

Windows 2003 Server:
forum931

Windows 2003 Small Business Server:
forum1584

Phil AKA Vacunita
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

hi,
you can buy a new server where you will (can) install 2003 or 2008 (Certified).
Then you can try to install 2K, and see what happens.

If it goes, you can migrate domain, and postpone roll-up to 2008. (Probably in this phase you will realize that Vacunita
suggest was right: the opportunity to do a W2K -> 2003/8
migration across new server, is the best, not always happens)

If, instead, you need to remain at 2K for applicative reasons, you can try, in new and virgin server, a little Virtualizzation experience: or by 2008 (I don't know it),
or by a free Operating System, a Virtualizzation free program (VMWare Server), and your 2K as guest OS.

bye
vic

The main reason for not going to Windows 2003/2008 is cost as they will need to buy Windows 2003 Licenses and CALS for all clients?
I don't need a server pre installed i'm more than happy to do that just wasn't sure if new hardware will support 2k?

Vacunita I realised after I posted this it was in the qrong forum - Sorry!

Thanks for the replies so far - much appreciated.

Depending on the purpose for the server, you may easily get by with a comparable open source solution (especially if you are talking file server vs. application server). The purpose and function of the machine matter a lot. Even if you are looking for a domain controller, that can be handled with Samba on Linux. The solutions would not involve the same license costs, though you will need to know or learn a little about Linux.

If it is to be and application server, I recommend you stick with the Windows server, at least for that piece.

- Flub

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back