Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Server DNS Issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

micon55

MIS
Feb 22, 2001
GB
Hi,
We are trying to configure a new mail server for our students to use. They will need to be able to access this server from anywhere at college and from home.
We have purchased the name herts-regional.ac.uk from our domain name supplier and placed this domain name on our external DNS servers. (Alongside an already established domain).
We have added the relevant DNS, Host and MX records to this domain and can successfully navigate to the domain name of our new server. mail.herts-regional.ac.uk. from any client within our network. (Using a browser).
The trouble is that we cannot navigate to this server from a machine outside our network..? However, we can contact the machine by using it's IP address..?

I'm thinking it's a DNS name resolution issue of some sort, but it is working OK from our network.
We already have a mail server working successfully and I have copied the DNS configuration exactly.

So my question is: Does and outside body need to be notified that we are using a new domain name on our network? Why can't the name be resolved from outside?

Sorry to be long winded, but any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Mike

Yes, although you have the name herts-regional.ac.uk your ISP has entry in it's public DNS for your domain name. Normally you would buy the name then inform the ISP of the IP addr you want it to point to.

Thanks for your help. I'll get on the case.
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back