Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New server cannot access network!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattWray

Technical User
Nov 2, 2001
US
We just built a new server and when I try to run DCPROMO for active dir, the server cannot see the network. I tried setting a static IP in a work group and change a workstation to the same, but teh server does not showup. The rest of the network can ping and browse except this new server! I checked the cable and internal loopback for the NIC and theyre good. Any ideas?

Matt Wray
CCNA

Does the server have the right network protocols installed?
Can you see flashing lights from the network card when it's plugged into the network?

Yes I am using TCP/IP, and there are lights on both the NIC and the router. This is very baffling!

Matt Wray
CCNA

Try reinstalling the TCP/IP protocol, change the network cable (just in case it is dud), plug it into another socket in the hub...
Was it pinging before you DCPROMO'd it?

Do you have a firewall client installed? If so try uninstalling it. Disabling the client doesn't work, it must be uninstalled. I had this problem maybe you do also.

Is this the first DC on the network? if so you need to configure dns on it before or during dcpromo. you are having a dns problem, you cannot do dcpromo if there is no dns server on your network. if you already have a DC and dns on your network, use your dns server as the dns server it the TCP/IP properties of your new server.

This is not the first DC. There is an existing one on the network. When I run DCPROMO, I get error message unable to contact domain or DC. I have tested the cable and tried removing and reinstalling TCP/IP. There is no firewall running. I am going to try a new NIC tomorrow, but I thought if I could ping 127.0.0.1, that meant the NIC was good? Oh well, I am still a newbie and I sure am getting some killer experience on this one. Just would be nice to get the boss off my back!

Matt Wray
CCNA

The DNS server should have it's own address listed on the DNS tab of the tcp/ip properties sheet of the server. This allows the DNS server to register itself in DNS. This would prevent another DC form finding the DNS server.

I'm not sure I'm following. I'll call teh DC that is up DC1 and the new one DC2. DC1 should list itself as the DNS server and DC2 should be listing DC1 as teh DNS server also. I'm using DHCP so it has to pull a its IPs automatically, but I think the tab your talking about is in advanced? Sorry, if I misunderstood you.

Matt Wray
CCNA

You all are not going to believe this. I got it - a bad PCI slot! Of all the things not to check. I haven't actually connected to the domain, but I got it working in a lab. Goes to show, even the simplest of things can cause a big headache!
Thanks All!

MAtt Wray
CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back