Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New self built PC and new problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbeenie

Technical User
Jun 20, 2002
US
Ok I fixed the first problem. But now it keeps shutting off for no reason at all. I first thought it was the Audigy 2 Plat card. Thought it was conflicting with the intergraded card. Well I disabled the intergrated and updated all the new drivers for the audigy. Worked for about 2 mins then the pc just shuts off. So I rebooted and then tried to install a program, boom shuts off. I have a 400 watt PSU? Should this be higher?

My CPU temp is around 30-34 C. Would this be shutting off my PC? I thought that was normal temperature. It has not been over clocked. The bios is at default settings. Anyone have any ideas?

Regards,
Bryan

MSI nForce2 Ultra 400 Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "K7N2 Delta-L"

Chipset: nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 + MCP
FSB: 200/266/333/400MHz

AMDXP 3000 400FSB
Memory - Simple Tech PC3200 512mb DDR

dj beenie

Oh and to get the computer to turn back on, I have to unplug the PSU for 5 seconds and then plug it back in. Boots back up.

I think that is weird.

dj beenie

have you tried booting without the audigy card? installed all the drivers (including chipset)?
my brother had similar problems with his audigy 2 card and eventually just gave up and used onboard sound.

i know that when i first got my audigy 2 card i had a similar problem. i had a fresh install of everything. installed the audigy 2 card and everything was working fine. wasn't until i installed nvidia drivers for my geforce card that i started having the problems. so i just reverted back to windows default graphics drivers for the geforce card and everything was working fine again...

I reseated my CPU and I turned my heatsink around and applied more thermal paste. Seems to be running good now. Anyone know the nivda cut off temp. for a overheated cpu?

dj beenie

Sounds like it might have a short. It could, however, be several things. But with it sutting off and the power needing to be reset I would look for a short. Pull everything out and run it on the table out of the case adding one piece at a time starting with the minimum.

Good luck

-Van

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back