Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New scope in DHCP server 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

juruk

Technical User
Jul 31, 2003
US
I just install DHCP server in my test area and I am setting new scope which is in other range that the 2003 server itself. When I connect new pc I am getting message that the dhcp server is unavailable. If I set scope within the same range as the server itself everything works fine. Am I doing something wrong or I need to set some other setting that I am not aware of it. ?!
To be more specific this is what I have.

W2k3 server ip: 192.168.0.100
SM 255.255.255.0
DG 192.168.0.1
Preferred DNS 192.168.0.100

My new testing scope 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.100 error DHCP not available

When I set the scope to 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.100 everything works fine

No routers at all since this is testing LAN.

Any help appreciated.

Thank you
Juruk

Did you authorize the DHCP server? Did you activate the scope?

I hope you find this post helpful.

Regards,

Mark

Yes i did authorize the server and i also activate the scope. It is working on the same scope with the server but changing the sope ...dhcp is unavailable.

Looks to me like you need to add 192.168.1.100 as a static addess to your server. You have it issuing IPs to a subnet it does not belong to.

Regards,

Mark

I understand that, but I was thinking that you can create a scope which is different than the server itself and provide ip’s with in different range. Therefore my conclusion is that I can’t use different scope…. correct?
Juruk

Not to my knowledge unless you are doing reservations.

Regards,

Mark

Thank you very much markdmac i really appreciate your help
Juruk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back