Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new replacement cdrw recognized but not installed

Status
Not open for further replies.

elihu

Technical User
Oct 19, 2005
US
Yes subject matter is true. I have win2000 pro and installed new memorex 52maxx 3252j1 and in win2000 it is in the bios
(setup) and in the device manager. I never took out the other
cdr rom..hmmm...maybe I should have eh? It works on roxio for I have burned two audio cds which I finally got it to be recognized by roxio by inserting and reinserting a blank cd.
I have tried to find drivers for it, as the only cd that came with it was nero. Never loaded nero from that cd and looked to see if drivers where on it but no dice that I could tell. it is csl on secondary ide along with samsung dvd sd 612 which
when I try to update that driver it says the same thing the other drive says "cant load installer...". any help?
thanks
elihu

The way that you have described the problem, i dont understand it at all.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

garebo! sorry. I installed a replacement cdr rom and windows
2000 pro keeps telling me that it has found new hardware
each time I reboot even tho it recognizes it in the device
manager and in the setup (bios). It wants more info for the
device before it will quit giving me that "Installing new
hardware" msg. I did not rec any device drivers with my new
memorex 52maxx3252j1 cdr rom. I have already burned two audio
cds with it but win2000 says its still uninstalled upon reboot. I think it is looking for drivers that I don't have.
been all over looking for drivers. so far no can find.
thanks and sorry I did not explain myself well.
elihu

No problem!!
I understand exactly now.
You dont need drivers for this cdrom (burner) of yours. Windows sees it as a cdrom and then the software burning program takes over as far as seeing the drive as a burner.
So you shouldnt have to be concerned about a driver, windows does that automatically.
Here's what i suggest.
Start all over. With pc turned off, unhook all wires to your new cdrom and let the pc boot up. Go into your bios and do what you need to do there. Remove any cdrom that is showing in bios. If your bios has a place where it will automatically look for ide devices, run that program in the bios. Save and exit, dont just exit. Continue booting up.

When in windows, go to device manager and see if there is a cdrom showing up. If so, delete it. Reboot, check bios again to make sure there is no cdrom showing up in bios, run program in bios if needed and save and exit. Continue to boot and in windows device manager make sure there is no cdrom showing. turn pc off.
Now double check your new cdrom and make sure you have set it as master or slave, whatever it should be set at, and install both cables again and boot up. While booting go into bios and see that it shows up in bios. If you have to run the prog in bios do that and save and exit. Continue to windows and it should install automatically for you. If all is well then all you have to do is install your burning program if you have one.
If all this fails then maybe its time to look into your registry and see if there is a culprit in there.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back