Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Red Hat 5.3 server

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejaggers

Programmer
Feb 26, 2005
US
We just got a Linux server and we are migrating from UNIX TRU 64. I may need a little
help getting started. What are you using to manage users. I’ve heard that VCN viewer and GNOME can be install on the desktop. Any suggestion what I should use, and where to get it?

Depending on your choices at the time of installation, your system will boot into one of two runlevels. Runlevel 3 is server mode which starts all the servers and allows you to log into a text based command shell. Runlevel 5 however, starts all the servers including the X windows server. The lets you log into a GUI or desktop environment such as gnome or kde. Since you mentioned gnome, I'm going to assume you will be using that. To enable vnc, click on System > Preferences > Remote Desktop and set your options. To admin user accounts, click on System > Administration > Users and Groups. If you are planning to be a hosting service, then you will need something a little more robust to setup all the servers and this type of user account.

Thanks RhythmAce, But I've got VNC installed and connecting to the Linux box. Now I'm just trying to figure out how to use it. Oddly enough though, I clicked on about and it said GNOME.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back