Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Record in subform not always inserting correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFitz

Programmer
Dec 18, 2003
GB
Hi All,

I've got a little problem with a recent database I've taken on. The database has not had any changes to it recently (Feb 2010). There is a form, with a tab control. One of the tabs has a sub form with another subform embeded within it.

When the "bottom" subform has a new record updated or added, it sometimes "puts it on other user's machines". I am waiting to see an example of this to confirm, DB wise, what's going on.

I'm guessing, that the Foreign Key isn't being added/updated into the new record correctly.

from the previous support notes, they have had this problem before, but a C&R has fixed it. This time, no such luck.

I've checked the tables involved and there doesn't seem to be any corruptions or anything,

I'm sure someone's gonna ask about the database size, it's best to not ask!! (700mb). It's a well written, interrelations DB with a separate frontend/backend. Frontend is also fully compiled into an MDE.

Suggestions??

Many thanks in advance,

Fitz

Fitz
Did you know, there are 10 types of people in this world:
* Those who understand binary
and
* Those who Don't!!

...It's a well written, interrelations DB...

Well, if it were well written, no corruption, and no other issues that can't be helped, then I'm not so sure I'd say this is well written. If the data is not being updated incorrectly, nothing else matters - it is a data base after all.

I wonder why it has to have a form, a subform within that, and another subform within the subform... just sounds like a nightmare to me.

I'd imagine the problem stems from using that sort of layout, personally, and then that making it difficult to near-impossible to correctly update the data. If it's desired to keep it that way, then perhaps what you need is a big of code added behind a couple of the form actions for the bottom-level subform (and perhaps the next level up subform and even the main form) to handle all possible scenarios.... that's my guess, anyway, some certain scenario that the original programmer didn't see is popping up, and causing the issue. I could even be something that the user is doing that is not desired to be done..

Post back if you find any other hints/clues as to what is actually causing the issue, b/c from what you've told us, and with no access to the database ourselves, there's no way any of us can give a legitimately useful answer.

Thanks for your post, however, speaking to the user's today, the C&R that I did 2 days ago may have fixed it as they say they haven't had this issue since!!

Heyho, 2 days of investigation for nothing!!!

Thanks for your help,

Fitz
and
* Those who Don't!!

By the way, I may be dense for asking this but, what is C&R? Something and research? [ponder]

lol, sorry, does this help:

Thanks for your post, however, speaking to the user's today, 'the Compact and Repair' that I did 2 days ago may have fixed it as they say they haven't had this issue since!!

Heyho, 2 days of investigation for nothing!!!

Thanks for your help,

[2thumbsup]

Fitz
and
* Those who Don't!!

Ok, yeah, I was being dense. [blush] It is Access we're talking about, LOL.

I s'ppose I didn't actually make myself very clear, and the users told me it was still happening yesterday afternoon!!

Hey-de-ho!

Fitz
and
* Those who Don't!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back