Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New RDRam

Status
Not open for further replies.

Driscoll47

IS-IT--Management
May 2, 2003
AU
When upgrading my Dell's memory with RDRam, do the Ram modules have to be the same type (i.e 128, 256, 512 or 1024) in all the slots for it to work or can you have a mixture?

What does Dell have to say? I seem to remember that mixing the size is OK but Dell may have a different opinion.

Mixtures are usually fine as long as the slot holds that size and sometimes that have to be in a certain order (Largest in slot 1, medium in slot 2, etc.) It depends on the motherboard. Sometimes that information is inside the case but you can be almost positive it accepts mixtures. Go to Dell's support site and put in your Service Tag# and go to memory to see what it takes.

-Volkoff007

cheers for the help

yeah... it seems slots 1 & 2 need to be the same and slots 3 & 4 also need to be the same.

so
1 matches 2
3 matches 4

at least thats how i understood what i read

Yes, slots 1 & 2 can be 128 meg sticks of RDRAM while slots 3 & 4 can be 256 meg sticks. Just as long as they're installed in matching pairs.

-tek

RDRAM -vs- SD and DDR
RDRAM is still really expensive compared to SD and DDR (and I believe DDR is newer than RD?) Is there any advantage to having RDRAM -vs- the other types? Is the higher price justified in any way?

oops, please ignore that... wrong spot. Sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back