Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New RDP remote desktop client wrong / no domain name entry logon fails

Status
Not open for further replies.

jstevens

IS-IT--Management
Jul 31, 2001
US
New RDP remote desktop client wrong / no domain name entry logon fails

The new RDP client does not have the domain name entry field like previous versions. For some unknown reason the client enters the host name or IP as the domain name.

Well,

There is a 2% chance that the actual fdqn is the same as the AD domain name. There is a 0% chance that an IP address is the domain name.

So, when I connect, every time the logon fails, I have to go back up, remove the false domain entry the client automatically enters and then logon again.

I have not found any information on how to stop this, or to re-add the domain name field, this is horribly anoying.

Has anyone resovled this yet?

Thanks in advance

Jason

I found a fix!

Download and use 5.2. =D I am primarily connecting to 2000 and 2003 servers. I have a folder with 50-60 saved RDP connectors I just double click on to connect, enter in password, done.

I wonder if 5.2 will connect to Vista or not, maybe Vista requires 6, anyway MS made so many terrible decisions in Vista they really blew it with this one too. Both 5.2 and 6 will work on the same machine no problem.

J

what are you talking about ......everything before vista is so easy to use rdc. ......rdc in vista is even easier i administer 8 different domains and vista asks which one i want to connect to and what credentials i want to use

Just use the windows2000 style login. user@domain.com or w/e your domain happens to be. You could always revert back to the old DOMAIN\user login as well.

Dennygee, you are using it on the domain, I am using it over a WAN to manage remote servers.

Capice?

Thanks baddos, but, I now have to go look up all the domain names for all my clients and servers whereas before I didnot have to.

Why does MS take away functionality?

In vista they took away the button bar,

NO UP ARROW !!!!!

NO COPY OR PASTE ICONS !!!!!

Geezzzz there better some 3rd party who adds that back.

Thanks Bill

J

Try the ALT + UP Arrow on an opened folder.
Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V (copy and Paste) are still around in Vista.

You don't need an up arrow when you can now click on the name of the folder you want to drill back down to. Much easier just takes a little getting use to.

And if you want your tool bar back for copy and paste. When in folder hit your Alt key--Tools---Folder options--View--Then click "Always show menus"

When frustrated remember, in the computer world there is almost always a backdoor.

Thanks baddos, but, I now have to go look up all the domain names for all my clients and servers whereas before I didnot have to.

Well if you think your users will not remember their exact login, then you can always save the connection and put that file on their desktop or something. When making the connection file, you can specify the username and have it save that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back