Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New RAM seems to be causing video problems? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

soas

Technical User
Aug 3, 2001
US
I have a PT880 Neo motherboard from MSI and with an intel processor. I recently changed from DDR 266 to 2 matched pairs of 512MB each Corsair ddr memory sticks that are supposed to be ddr 400.

Initially I left my bios like it was set for the previous ram I had in it, it was set for 266mhz, and everything was working perfectly. I wanted to change it to 400mhz in my bios since I had ddr 400, and when I did everything seemed to work fine. However not long after that I started getting lots of garbage on the screen or just a plain black screen.. especialy when I was doing anything that involved 3D rendering. I have a radeon 9600 agp card and I've had it in my computer for well over a year without any problems.

Once the screen goes black, my computer usually freezes, and there is no getting it back. Sometimes it restarts when this happens, and sometimes it just hangs.

I set it back to 266mhz and everything is working fine again. I have used it this way for months without a problem, but I'd like to at least be able to set it to spec just because.. heh

I am using a flat panel with DVI but I switched it over to analog for now for the sake of troubleshooting, though I can repeat the same problem with analog or digital so I ruled that out.

I am not sure what other information to give, but I will be happy to provide whatever information I can.

Well my bios says I have a 200mhz fsb. My processor is a pentium 4 2.4C northwood 800MHz FSB. I know they do something funny with their fsb to where its actually 1/4 what its listed but does this mean that using memory with higher than 200mhz bus speeds is pointless? I just assumed that even though it said 200mhz fsb, it was still capable of the 800 that the processor specs say.

AMD is true "DDR" - Double Data Rate. Intel uses "Quad Pumping". You should set yours for 200 FSB/mem speed. The motherboard will "Quad" it to 800.

well, it only goes down to 266mhz for the memory.. When I set it to detect the speed automatically it messes up the same as it would if I were to set it to 400mhz, but it seems to work perfectly at the lowest setting, so I'll leave it at that. I really appreciate the help you two have given me. Thank you!

Just think of it as having the memory ready when you upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back