Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New RAM Hanging PC 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sskilton

Technical User
Nov 19, 2002
GB
I've a Win98SE PC which is PII 350, with a MS-6119 ATX BX2 Motherboard with 32Mb 100mhz SDRAM. In an attempt to make it useable i replaced the RAM with a new stick of 256Mb 100mhz SDRAM, but upon booting, when it checks the RAM it registers as 128Mb, gets past post but hangs at the point it says "Scanning Boot On Drive [C]".

I've tried again with another (identical) stick of 256Mb SDRAM and the same thing happens, i then tested both RAM in a different Machine and they both registered as 256Mb and worked fine.

Any ideas on what is stopping me using the new RAM and any thoughts on how to get round this problem?

This mobo should take that size of ram easily, however if memory serves me right the FSB is adjustable 100/103/112/133. It could be possible that it is set to a higher FSB which the 128mb brand of stick could handle but the brand/batch from which your 256 came cannot handle.

Thanks for your swift response!

unfortunately i don't have the manual, so i have no idea how to change the FSB or to check which setting it is currently on. I had a quick look on motherboards.org and they don't have the manual either unfortunatly.

I'm guessing so please correct me if i'm wrong, but surely the newer 256Mb sticks would be better (and therefore could handle a higher FSB) than an ancient 32Mb stick?

When it comes to memory, you need to look deeper at the specs. Some PC100 SDRAM sticks are 8M X 8 or 16M X 4. Both are measurements relating to the tiny modules on the SDRAM stick. You can usually see what you have by looking at the label or inscriptions on your sticks of memory.

Your manual states that if you use memory with 8M x 8, you're limited to a max memory size of 384MB (128MB x 3 slots).

Perhaps that's your problem?

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

May sound simple, but before looking up every setting related to your memory, have you double checked that you've installed the stick right...I've built many PC's and I know that even if it feels like its all the way in sometimes its not. It should snap into place...it's worth the 25 seconds.

goodbuddy,
If the memory stick wasn't installed properly, it wouldn't show anything. In sskilton's case, it's showing half of what it's supposed to.

~cdogg

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."
- A. Einstein

cdogg - i think you may have hit the nail on the head there, i've had a look at the 256Mb stick and it says 32*8.

The motherboard manual states that it supports a maximum of 384Mb (8M x 8) or 768Mb (16M x 4) only. A couple of questions, what does the designation in the brackets mean - does the 'M' stand for module? If so what does the other number signify? And lastly i assume that if i wish to use a 256Mb stick i would have to find a (16M x 4) one - are these still available?

Thanks again

Although i'm not entirely sure what was causing the problem, i have seemed to have fixed it. Having no luck with the first lot of RAM, i bought some more from Crucial which is guaranteed to work with the board.
All of the 256Mb registered when i fitted it, but the PC still hung at the same point in the boot process. Swapping back to the 32Mb stick only and the PC boots fine.

I Rebuilt it as NT4 and now it works fine with the new 256Mb stick fitted.

I'm still confused to what was causing all of this but thanks to all of you above who lent a hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back