Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New project for testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baalinor

IS-IT--Management
May 4, 2014
I aquired an older model ML 350, Gen 4. I get ann error that says "HP smart Array 641 battery low" and that it will start working again when the batteries (plural) are recharged. I found this thread whil I was looking for information on the oot order I found this thread: and was wondering if I need to replace the battery or let the server recharge the battery?

Any help is welcome.

thanks

Just let it charge.

If it decides the battery is actually faulty it will tell you on the next boot or you can load the System Management Homepage and agents.

The SA will still be working but in 100% read-only mode rather than read-write.

Neill

Thanks Neill, unfortunately the battery seems to be dead so I took it to batteries Plus to see if they could help. No help there except they told me that battery was actually dead. They cannot get the cells to rebuild it either. I contacted HP and they do have a replacement. I have looked on a few sites, but am not too comfortable buying batteries from some seller on Ebay or Amazon, the battery could have been sitting a while, it took just over 2 years for these to die.

Any sugestions?

thanks.

I would just do without if you are having trouble finding one.
You'll still get the benefit of the read cache even without the battery.

Neill

Well, I got batteries, but still cannot get them machine to boot to an install screen. I get a PXE-E6- Media test failure. I checked the cables when I replaced the batteries. Could all 12 hard drives be bad? there are 6 in each server, and the boot recognizes the Smart array cards, so I do not think it is them. Anyhow, any suggestions as to how I can get an OS to install? I am going to go and get some DVD disks and put the OS on them and try straight from the dvd drive, we shall see.

thanks for any help

Ok, I have done some work, I have 2 servers, a HM Proliant ML 350 G4 and G4P. the G4P is another challenge, but the G4 needs a BIOS update.

I took pictures of the boot screens and the BIOS set up screens. they are here: I think I placed them in an order where I can ask questions in sequence.

The first 5 pictures are just boot sequences, can you see anything in there I need to change?

in the 6th picture, At the bottom, second line from the bottom, "PXE61: Media Test Failure, check cable" what exactly is this talking about? I have checked all cables and reseated every card in both serves and get the same error message on both. Please any details about this is important I think.

The next picture is of the boot order. I have the CD-ROM first. I bought a SATA/IDE adapter for my DVD Drive because the G4 does not have a SATA plug on the MB. I burned the firmware to DVD disk, however it will not boot to the firmware. What do I need to do?

The next picture is of the boot controller sequence. How is that supposed to be set up? Does it really matter?

The next picture is the same, but the last one is of the BIOS Serial Console and EMS. What do I need to do with these?

I have never flashed a BIOS before, Please tell me what to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back