Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New processor and motherboard = hardly any performance increase 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciaran

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
GB
I used to have a 650mhz amd athalon, i upgraded to a amd athalon xp 1600+. I got a new motherboard with it because my old one only supported up to 1 gig processors. There seems to be no performance increase, appart from a slight fps increase on counter strike. Applications still load the same.

I have installed all the drivers for my motherboard and the bios recognises the processor (as well as other windows apps)

I have 256meg of PC133 SDRAM.
How can i increase the performance of my system?

I definently reccomend getting a new HD, the one you have is slowing your system way down. I got a ATA100 7200 rpm 40 gig HD for $70. Switching to DDR pc2100 is also a good idea. You should have at least 256mb of ram. I got 256mb pc2100 ram for $108. Also, what OS are you running? You might wanna think about windows 2000, It offers 30% increase in speed (better fileing system) and it rarely crashes to the point you must restart. 2000 also manages memory better and isnt annoyingly helpful and gay like Win XP. Win 95,98,ME are crap OS, so ditch them. Anthing that runs on a FAT file system is awful! E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back