Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Power Supply and NOTHING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

outlan

Technical User
Dec 18, 2002
US
Hi all,

Ok, I inherited an old PC from my buddy. He asked me to salvage some files from his HD and I could have the machine.

I started it up and it worked fine, but realized the power supply fan was not spinning. SO, I went and bought a new 350W power supply and stuck it in. Now--NOTHING. I press the power button and there is power for < 1 second, and then it is dead. I have tried without all the peripherals, PCI cards, video card, etc.-- still nothing. I just can't imagine something would be fried if it was working all this time up until an hour ago.

The only thing I haven't tried is clearing the CMOS. Could this do the trick? The old power supply was a 250W. It is an older ABIT MB and I am unsure of what the processor is. I was thinking maybe the MB got confused by the new power supply?

If anyone has had this kind of problem before, please help me out!!

Thanks

Every time I have had this problem it was because I was careless in placing the 3 1/2" floppy power connector one pin off and shorted the supply. Powers up enough to recognize that there is a problem and shuts down with the crowbar.
CMOS clearing would be worthless.
You would have come out cheaper buying a replacement fan.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

yeah, check you've plugged everything in properly...

whenever I have that problem it's usually because I "forgot" to plug something in or didn't plug it in correctly...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

I tried unplugging all power connectors except for the motherboard and heat sink fan...shouldn't it at least power up and stay on?

Try the old supply again. If it works, your new supply is probably bad.

I've also had that problem when the switch on the back (110v v.s. 220v) was in the wrong position....

Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- &quot;A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!&quot;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back