Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New POTS lines not reachable

Status
Not open for further replies.

drichter12

Technical User
Dec 15, 2005
US
We have a situation which appears to have Verizon Local stumped.... We have two business POTS lines at a new store location that were installed about 6-8 weeks ago. These lines have nothing special on them and are both picked to Verizon LD (222). It appears that since day 1 they have worked fine for all outbound dialing and local inbound calls but do not work when dialed long distance from anywhere unless the caller is also on Verizon/MCI LD. Our local provider (Verizon) has been working on this issue for a month now and keeps telling us there is nothing wrong on their end.

Anyone have any suggestions for where the problem may lie and what I may be able to tell Verizon to get them to fix this?

Thanks,

Dale

What type of system do you have? Maybe you have caller ID routing in the system.

What is the scenario when a call is made from a LD location, intercept, busy, fast busy?

No system, just POTS. The LD callers get the message "Your call cannot be completed as dialed". LD callers who are on Verizon are able to get through without any problems.

Dale

I am not a phone guy, but have had a few routing issues like this when provisioning was changed on our account. First, I found this website that may be helpful. You can find the carrier, co switch that services the number, etc. Sometime that gives a clue. In my case it was just one local exchange from a different carrier that had routing issues.

In my case it was resolved my the local tech who came on premises contacting the maintenance supervisor for the area. Going through the normal technical contact procedure was not too helpful.

Are the new numbers on an established exchange that works for everyone else?

Have you tried dialing around the Verizon PIC code, I dont remember what they all are but I am talking about the 1010220 type dialing. Its been to long to remember the name lol

JohnThePhoneGuy

"If I can't fix it, it's not broke!

From the site outbound everything works for local and LD and LD inbound works on Verizon/MCI (1010222/1010555) but not from any other LD carriers. It appears to be a routing issue at the local CO from the access tandem switch servicing it.

Dale

That is a carrier (verizon) issue and nothing else beyond that. Since it's been a month call them back and tell them that it's affecting your business, then file a complain with your PUC. Escalate to a manager and it will get fixed. Only carriers have the balls to tell you it's not their issue on something that obvious.

We had a similar issue at a customers site. I kept telling the carrier that it was their problem. I cannot remember what they found but they fixed it. You need to continue to push them. Have them monitor the calls and look into their setup.

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS, ATSP/IP

Find out what company your customers are using for their LD calls, it's possible that it's a new VERIZON exchange and their switch is not routed for it, if you can find out who the carrier is give that to Verizon and they'll call them, I'm surprised that Verizon hasn't ask you for this info?

Verizon is your Carrier, multiple Carriers flow threw the Local Exchange... The issue is in your local LEC/CLEC office. The database at the LEC/CLEC needs to be corrected. Something didn't happen when your dialtone was delivered from the Central Office.

Textron68--- If you read the original post Verizon is his LD carrier for out bound LD calls, for which he has no trouble, on incoming LD calls those are controlled by the LD carriers of his customers on outgoing calls, hense my post to find out what carrier his customers is using.

Is this a ported number? What NPA/NXX is it and what is the local serving CO?

....JIM....

allisland--- I understand very well that the issue is on inbound long distance calls from other carriers. The other carriers route to the LEC/CLEC that carries the area code/prefix. Than it is carried over to the customer number. When Dale's service account was set up with Verizon in the local LEC/CLEC the account information didn't get transcribed into the system that bridges all the carriers together and onto the local service line. Hence the calls from Verizon customers are getting there since the Verizon database takes it to the final leg, the other carriers must do a lookup in the LEC/CLEC DB to traverse to the final leg. It is a Local Office issue. I've gone through this 5 times this year alone. It's always at the local exchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back