Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Phone System Question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newb2IT

IS-IT--Management
Oct 6, 2008
US
Hello...I need to purchase a new phone system since our company is moving to a new location, I was wondering if you could give me some recommendations and good reliable phone systems (cost is important too obviously). Here are the requirements:

Should be able to support up to 100 phones/extensions
Standard Features: Voiced, paging another extension, conferencing calling for up to 4 people,hunting (we have 7 lines) etc, nothing fancy, not calling center capabilities. If someone gets a call it should have the capability to forward to a cell phone after certain amount of rings or perhaps a phone system that has wireless phones so that employee can carry around the building.

Thanks!

You could also consider a true Free VOIP/IP Phone System Software like this:

It can run on just about any operating system. You can contact Snom for a qualified tech in your area.

Avaya and Panasonic charge extra $ for "Licenses/Keys" to unlock features that are already in their systems.

The Snom is totally free, does more then the "big names" and does not require any additional $ to unlock features.

All features are available on day one.

Wow, there is so much more to this than I had anticipated. I had not even thought of something scalable and that is an excellent point.

How do I know if a system is scalable? Does it have ports o something?

This forum is great, thank you so much.

I'm going to look those up I was trying to go for something in our start-up price range, but I admit there is more to this decision.

Thanks again!

Robert-- Something to consider would be some specific features that would benefit your business model. You said that you are consulting… do you bill clients for phone time? If so, you should make sure your system provides services like account code entries to track your phone billing (popular feature in legal offices), and software packages to manage the data. Mobility options that allow you to work when you’re not in the office. Look not only at what you do now, but what you could do better and what are the cost benefits.

go in several steps to solve your problem of what system to choose

1. Do you have the infrastructure in place for IP sets or digital sets, IP sets mean layer 3 switches with proper QoS implemented and also PoE for the phones.

2. if you have IP sets then look at a system that has IP sets for a decent price and also has analog extension ports for faxes, postage machines etc so you can save money on single lines for just one purpose. With digital sets it should have the same analog port capability

3. 100 sets / extensions is great but plan ahead for future expansion and don't max the system out right away.

4. Nortel BCM is end of sale in march so scrap that one even though it is a nice system but will be end of support in the foreseeable future

5. If you want to go the Asterisk route be sure you know the system inside out and never go on holidays so you can fix it 24/7/365 or have a second guy with the same abilities. Lots of companies have Asterisk systems and support themselves but I would rather go with a system of a renown manufacturer and have someone to yell at if it doesn't work and they can't fix it within a decent timeframe.

get several quotes for the same product and throw out the cheapest quote if it is a lot cheaper than the other ones as well as the most expensive quote if it is too high above the other ones.
Have the companies demonstrate the product or even better go to see them and have them demo it, also meet their support staff and make sure that they actually have people for that and not have all rest on one guys shoulders and have him/her booked when you need help.
the company that installs the system is as important as the product itself because a good product can be messed up by bad installers.

Cheers and a happy new year to all

Joe W.

FHandw, ACSS

Hi Robert,

Yes there is alot of things to consider when buying a phone system. As has been suggested by many people, you need to figure out what exactly you want your system to do. Do you need voice-mail? Do you need call accounting? do you need auto attendents? there are tons of features on phone systems today, and the best place to start when looking for a phone system is what capabilities you need it to have. Another thing you can check into is something called Host Phone system. I personally don't have experiance with a Host Phone System, but some people i trust love them.

Also i can't stress this enough, when you are getting quotes ask for a qoute on both new and refurbished systems. Also ask the installer for references, or names of other companies they have installed systems in.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back