Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PC Doesn't Power Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

gfender

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
GB
I've been troubleshooting and searching google for a soltion for quite some time and cannot figure anything out. I just bought a new Athlon 3000 CPU and Asus K8N motherboard with 512mb DDR 3200 RAM. I am using a 300 watt power supply that I've been using with a temp computer so I know it works. The problem I have is that it won't power up. The power supply with spin for a couple of seconds as well as the fan on the cpu but that's all it does. I have unplugged everything from the computer except the power supply and power switch connecter (which I have triple checked is plugged in correctly). Any help will be much appreciated!

G-

Check to see which fan header is used for the CPU fan. I have seen boards that have the markings switched between CPU and Fan1.

Did you also unplug and reseat the memory?

jeradsyn

I checked the fan heading and it is the CPU Fan like the manual said. I've removed the memory completely for now.

My initial thought was that I didn't have a big enough power supply but with everything unplugged I think it should work. I'm tempted to go buy a bigger PS but I just don't think that will fix the problem.

I know of no reason that a higher wattage powersupply would cause you harm, the bigger the power supply, the less you would have to worry about if you added a second CD/DVD, additional HD's, expansion cards or extra case cooling fans.

You might see if a friend has a bigger one, and see if you can borrow it to try.

Where did you get the mb, and how long have you had it? The vendor would probably check it out (if local) if you were to speak to him with respect and a subtle reminder of how much you had to plunk down for your purchase. I usually ask the vendor to confirm that the mb/cpu posts before I get out of the store, if they have time- (and I'm not to psyched up over the new acquisition!)

jeradsyn

I just went and aquired an Antec 400w PS but the damn thing still didn't work. I bought it from an online merchant, bzboyz, so I guess my next move is calling them unless there are any more suggestions.

Thanks to those who replied.

Are you connecting up the additional 4-pin power connector as well as the usual 20-pin connector to the motherboard? Leaving off the 4-pin connector can give these symptoms...

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Hola,

1.) Clear CMOS...

2.) did you use Arctic Silver or such between the HS-FAN and CPU?

3.) is the HS-FAN on correctly? could be 180 degree turned around...

the reason why I asked the last two, is simple, according to your symptoms, Power for short period of time and then cuts out, sounds like the safety circuit of your mobo cutting in, to protect the CPU from taking damage through overheating.... which is caused by either the HS-FAN not connected correctly/turned the wrong way, or the HS-FAN not correctly functioning (sensor damaged in the FAN)...

Clearing CMOS, sometimes works wonders on new mobo's, as it resets any erroneous data that may be stored in the CMOS...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Is this a new build?
Did you put it together?

Have you mounted the motherboard correctly and only fitted the brass standoff posts where they were needed (lined up with the brite solder mount point)

Have you connected the secondary power connectors (some of these new mainboards not only have th additional P4 connector but further molex and or floppy drive type connectors actually on the motherboard itself.

Are the IDE and other cabling orientated correctly (pull off and double check everything.

you could try a differant fant connected to the CPU header (if the motherboard cannot sense an rpm signal from the fan it's failsafe is to shut down the system after a few seconds.

Addon cards and periferal devices can also cause non boot or partial boot when they are faulty as can a faulty CDrom or Hard drive.

Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back