Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PC Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

astorre

Technical User
Jul 4, 2005
GB
I am looking at building a new PC rather than buying another Dell, as I was thinking you can upgrade gradually instead of buying everything at once in future.

I have a rough spec of a build but I'm a little unsure of what cooling I will need, to provide the best cooling, noise levels and also what will fit. I will play the occasional games, but primarily I will use the machine to run Virtual PC's while studying for my Microsoft Certs.

The Motherboard I was looking at is the Asus P5B-Plus
E6300 Processor
2GB RAM
Akasa Eclipse or Lian-Li PC 7 Plus.
Radeon 1650
I am going to run Vista ultimate so I can run Virtual PC 2007

I would be grateful for any advice.

astorre,

I would recommend at least an X1900 for running Vista. It really matters (see thread602-1343084)

For your uses, a conventional cooling system should work. A 120mm intake fan at the bottom + an 80 or 120 mm exhaust fan at the upper rear for exhaust should do fine with the stock HSF. Antec makes a SmartFan that adjusts its speed to ambient temperature, very slick. There are also fan-control bays with thermal probes which I highly recommend to find your hot spots and to adjust your fans to the lowest (quietest) setting, and if the above system doesn't do the job there's always Antec's new Spot Fan.

You don't mention the PSU you will be buying. From the posts I have read here this is probably your most important decision. We have seen entire systems hosed by cheap or wonky power suppplies; don't scrimp here. Get the best and biggest you can afford from Seasonic, Sparkle, Antec, etc. I use Nexus PSUs but I am a silence freak.

I really like your case choices, both are aluminum and allow for 120mm in & out. It's a color choice issue. Best of luck.

Tony

Thanks for the advice.

The PSU's I was looking at were either the Enermax Infiniti 650W or the Corsair HX 620W. After reading a few posts I want to make sure I get a quality power supply, a bit concerned with PSU taking out other components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back