Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New PABX-specifications

Status
Not open for further replies.

slicardie

IS-IT--Management
Apr 16, 2002
LU
Hi guys,

We will buy a new Ethernet based PABX. I have to make a call for tender, but I'm not sure what to request. As I don't want to write nonsenses, I'd be grateful if someone sends me some common specifications of Ethernet based PABXs... thanks in advance!!!

Thanks Orypecos. This webpage is more a search engine than a common specs document. Do you know the specs that should be included in the call for tender?

Why size system are you looking for? Example: # of lines and # of Telephone Instruments? Why features and functionality do you need? Voicemail, Auto-Attendant, Remote users, etc.. This will help in offering suggestions!

Sorry, Should have stated "What features and functionality

Link: E1
# of Telephone instruments: 50 at most
Features... I would say the most common found....

The important thing to notice is that we have and old PABX system (Panasonic), and we want to change it for a new one. The problem is this: People don't know what they want and I really have no time to look for specifications... that's the reason I need the specs and common features :)

I have a list of evaluation criteria that I generated to review systems. I don't seem to have the RFQ that was sent out though.

Do you have an email I can send the document to?

Sure. Thank you whitera6911.

s_licardie@yahoo.com

going with an ethernet based PBX system can incurr a lot of unnecessary costs depending on what you are looking for. Do you have a lot of off site personal that you want to connect via VOIP? if not, a basic PBX system will serve you better and be less costly. Avaya, Nortel, NEC to name a few offer great systems. I can understand why you would want to move out of an old Panasonic, but the new systems have a lot of features and really don't compare with the old.

As a matter of fact, one of the big issues here is that we are going to move to new premises, and the new building offers only E1s, which are not supported by our current PABX. So, it is not only a matter of what we want, but what we need to do...

Regarding the unnecesarry costs... an ethernet based PABX is more expensive than a basic one, I know. But on long term basis (personnel rotation is the most common thing here) getting free from providers' support (and charges) in order to install new extensions, change telephones names, etc... will cover the ethernet PABX's purchase cost, don't you think?

Do you mean T-1's? Most new standard PBX systems come equipped with a GUI programmer that you can run from any PC to do all your moves, adds and changes yourself. We set up customers like this all the time. Most are actually easier to admin than an ethernet system, depending on your background. Having a seperate system for phone and data networks can be a positive too. In the event one goes down, you still have the other.

Ghostin,
E1's are the rest of the world's equivelent of T1's (faster and better mind you).
Silcardie
It may help people if you specify what country you live in, an American PBX may not work in Europe, one thing to be VERY careful of.

Stu..

2 decades from retirement, 2 minutes from a breakdown

Don't worry Stu, we use American and not European equipment :)

By the way, whitera6911 sent me a useful list of specs and things to take care of when comparing PABX's. Thanks to all of you people!

Have a look at the Panasonic TDA100 it is Voip capable and is very versitile

I am thinking about the TDA200, it seems to be good enough.

Wether uyou use an IP system or a pbx it will still need configuring & changes made for personel changes.

IP telephony is a olution that works but is inherently less reliable than a dedicated PBX

You could try somthing like the Avaya IP office & if this is fitted with a VCM you could use IP extentions where necessaryt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back