Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New OSX Server, any tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanksta

Technical User
Jun 28, 2002
US
Hi -

We just bought a new dual 1.42 ghz powermac G4 and OSX server for our network basically because we have no racks at all and the Apple Care for the hardware is much cheaper. Our network right now consists of 12 WinXP boxes and one NT4 machine hooked up to one router with two network printers - No mac clients for now. If the mac server holds up then half of the win boxes will be replaced by macs though due to virus and security issues.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could give me any tips or advice (or places to get it) before the machine comes (like what other hardware or software I may need). I never set up a server in my life though we basically want File Sharing, Print Sharing, share our database, authentication, and DHCP to work initially and then build on that with possibly a website or more advanced databases. We are hooked up through a business cable modem and 5 or so computers are on an 802.11b network through an access point.

The big problem I am also facing is that we are subleasing part of the building and I need to have our services all working and secure while still allowing them to have internet access and access to eachother's computers.

Once again, if you could give me any advice (and I do mean anything from basic setup of switches to php user authentication) or turn me to places where I may I would really appreciate it. I've been reading the boards a lot and already own OSX so Im somewhat familiar with the terminal. Thanks again.

OSX server is similar, just about 4 or 5 new applications to control the server portions and monitor it. Set up is pretty simple and straightforward, If you can handle setting up a windows network, you'll find it a joy ;) I reformatted my old NT server, now it's a glorified MP3 player for the whole office.
PT

Has been a while since I installed an OS X server. Seem to remember it was farly easy. I know that once you have install the server you can control it from your own desktop, ver any browser. Can't remember the port number though.

If you can't fix it in 20 minutes call someone who can.

My suggestion would be to review the Apple Discussion at apple.com to determine what problems there are for the pertinent services you want from the server. For instance, some revisions of the Panther software (10.3.4, I think) had problems with fonts; the newest (10.3.9) has caused problems with the print services, which were working fine before.

A G4 1.42 isn't new and may only come with 10.2. If you have 10.2, throw it away and buy 10.4 (10.3 no longer available). This links seamlessly into AD and your Apple becomes an NT 4.9 server and just WORKS.

Absolutely marvellous.

Install Chicken of the VNC which is better than the port 311 that Ecaboodle was describing. Remote desktop is basically Chicken by another name but costs money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back