Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new on VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbbxxxd

Technical User
Jul 30, 2002
US
i'm tryin to setup a VPN server, i want to make a tunnel between my friends computer to mine with VPN, both computer have ADSL setup. i have win2k adv ser. setup, the clients are win2k pros. I've read some of the articles on VPN on the net, but it doesn't help a bit. Can someone please help me out.....thanks in advance

Use this link as a start and then you can dig more details from Microsoft site. You can setup RRAS on your ADv.Server and configure client connections on other PCs. You can use PPTP, L2TP, or IPSEC.

Cheers,
Rajesh

thanks for the link rajesh, but i forgot to tell you that my server is behind a ISA server, i tried setting it up through RRAS but it doesn't seem to work, my clients can't tunnel through it.....

more help please...

thank you

If you are using ISA for firewall, all you need to do is to open the protocols and ports for the VPN traffic. Let me know what kind of VPN (VPN Protocols) you are using and then I will find out the required ports for you.

For example; if you are using ipsec, all you need to open is port 500 (UDP) and protocols AH and ESP.

Let me know..

Cheers,
Rajesh

hey rajesh,

i can't seem to get the VPN started.... it works on my LAN, but when i set it up to go through the internet, it doesn't work... am i suppose to register a domain name or signup with a supplier???? i want to use it over the WAN, i have a full time DSL line, can you please help me out...... thank you .....

dee

Okay lets see... You have a public ip address for your VPN server so that any internet user can connect to it? All you need to do is to configure the server for VPN server and clients. Look at the link and let me know if that helps!

This is the microsoft document itself. Have a look at it.

Cheers,
Rajesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back