Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Nt4 server refusing new passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunkymonkey

Technical User
Jul 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,
I have recently had to build a new server which has nt4 server installed.
Everything seemed to be working ok until a few days ago. I have noticed two things that didn't happen before on the older machine.

1) When I try to unlock the machine using ctrl alt delete, it says please wait while the domain list is created, every time!

2) When users password's expire either that day or day after this server refuses them access saying bad user name or password in the event log and yet they are on the same domain and can access every other machine as normal.

Note: This server is a bdc.

Any Ideas?

It sounds like it can't communicate with the PDC. Password changes are done with the PDC then replicated it seems your BDC isn't getting the replicated info so doesn't know the password has changed.

You should have event logs errors on the BDC if this is the case, they may gave you some info as to what is causing the problem.

Only time I've seen it before was a BDC on a different subnet to the PDC and a problem with DNS meant it couldn't find the PDC. In your case it may be something simpler.

I have just changed the password on the BDC for one of the users who can't access it and it the PDC has obviously replicated it bacause the user is allowed on to the domain.
However they still can't acces the BDC?

Any more ideas?

Don't forget, whenever you make changes on the BDC depending on how much traffic is on your network, the changes may take time to replicate with the PDC. You can force replication by doing this on the BDC

(1) Open up Server Manager from Administrative tools

(2) Highlight your BDC

(3) Now click on "computer" at the top of the screen,
then click on "Synchronize with Primary Domain
controller".

* this will force synchronization. Try this and see if that helps.

You might want to check your IP settings. I had a similar problem once and the subnet mask was off by one number. Created all kinds of problems similar to yours.

Just a sugestion

Thanks Zoeythecat,
It looks like your suggestion probably fixed it (I deleted some licences and machines taht were no longer needed).

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back