Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new network and msn...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoliver

Technical User
Apr 15, 2002
AU
I have created a 5computer home network and i have shared dsl and the printer, at first everything seemed ok. My mate connected 2 the network using XP and used msn fine, but asoon as one of the family (using 2000) tried msn it did not work, or it would log in then out again. I am running XP on the dsl server, seen as i am connected to the cable modem directly i can use msn as normal but on all the other computers it does not work. Does anybody know the BEST proxy program for the job ? or how to fix this problem?
Thanks
Nic

lo m8

So your using XP modem shareing and msn wont work.. thats because messenger can't resolve back to the client workstations properly as it will only get as far as the machine that has the connection..

The best thing for you to do is get an ADSL router for around £200 or use a program called Smoothwall which is a Linux based firewall and routing system..

You can download Smoothwall for free from smoothwall.org but you will need an old pc to run it on.. min spec p75 with 16mb or ram..

Good Luck

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back