Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Motherboard 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mal1981

Technical User
Mar 30, 2001
US
I just installed a new motherboard. When I start the computer, the CPU fan comes on but it never goes through POST. The keyboard lights come on and stay on and that's it. What's the problem? I've tried removing the NIC, the sound card, the usb, parallel and serial connections off the board to see if that would make a difference but it didn't. Have any suggestions? Thanks. :)

To determine if the problem is a bad motherboard, use the process of elimination. Two approaches here - testing the components (ram, processor, videocard, etc.) on a known good MB, and testing the MB with known good components. In either approach, add components one at a time, making judicious note of the results.

There's not a shortcut for this process, particularly if, as in your case, you're not even getting POST. Odds are, the MB is bad.

RFT!!!
Dave Kelsen.
If at first you don't succeed, try management.

Thanks Kelsen. I'll try that. I kind of gave up on it today because I was getting so frustrated. I had almost all the components off the motherboard. But I'll give it another shot tomorrow. If you know anyone else who's good with hardware and knows some tricks - please pass them on! :) Later.

Mark

If you check all the components and they are ok, before giving up on the mobo try taking it out of the case and testing it on the bench with just a video card, ram, cpu and power supply. I have known mobos to short out on the case causing the symptoms you describe. When checking the components don't forget the power supply, just because it is spinning up the fan doesn't necessarily mean its ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back