Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Motherboard won't beep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin55

Programmer
Aug 26, 2000
US
I am installing a new AGP4X Asus Motherboard. I read in the Upgrading For The Complete Idiot book that you should power up your motherboard before you install your memory and processor and make sure you hear beeps which would indicate that you don't have a short. But I tried this and got nothing (no beeps). The motherboard manual says nothing about doing this. I am considering installing the processor but don't want to fry it (if there is a short).
My question is, could the reason I don't hear a beep be because I don't have the processor installed? I rechecked all my jumpers and connections from the motherboard to the case and power supply and everything seems OK.

Processor has to process the bios before it can process the sound so plug it in. I've found that I'm better off plugging in power, processor, memory, and video at the start and working backwards if there is a problem instead of working forward to the same point. Have never fried everything. But then I'll probably fry the next one.

Where all the LED's are plugged into the motherboard the pc speaker should plug into there as well. Is it plugged into the mobo correctly?

When you are assembling a computer,put all in it: MB.,proc.,memory,videocard.Check that your mb. does not touch an metal part of case,so it could make a short.Then power up your PC and see what is happen.Ussualy it works, but if you do someth. wrong it will beep and not start.
Check the power cables to be properly installed,and the DIMM memory(ram) must be in DIMM1 slot, or you will have possible problems.Tell me what proc. you have, try to be more specific.
G.look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back