Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Motherboard problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andybean9

Programmer
Mar 12, 2003
US
I just got a new Asus A7V333 Motherboard and a brand new Athlon xp 2500+ 333 and I installed everything, and when I go to turn it on, everything seems to work, but I don't get a picture. I have messed around with everything for the past couple of hours trying to get it to work, but nothing I do seems to get the picture to come up. Any help would be great!
-Andrew

Are you getting any error beeps when you start it up?

Try another graphics card. Also reset the BIOS and see that helps.

---------------
Johnodq
---------------
Please let me know if the advice I give is of help.
Feedback will benefit all

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I have encountered this problem myself with the exact same symptoms and found out that older AGP video cards, (1X and 2X even those that are labeled as being 2X/4X), use the 3.3Volt range and will short out newer motherboards. Some of the newer AGP ports will not work correctly with 2X AGP cards so I would try to stick with 4X or 8X AGP video cards

bsmith

Check the video card and make sure that the "tail end" is seated all the way.

If you have an older CRT monitor (and you don't get any POST errors) you may want to try booting up in safe mode and then dropping the resolution. The default resolution may be too high for the moniter to display. Just a thought.

Brian
USAF
Network +, Win2k Pro

I have the same motherboard and experienced the same problem, but I also experienced the CPU fan was not working. I bought the CPU (1700+ Athlon) and the fan as a kit. It started spinning when I first powered up but then it stopped and I smelled something burning and I immediately shut it down. I'm sending it back to New Egg for a replacement. I'm hoping that it was just a bad CPU and fan was why I was not getting anything on my monitor. Any thoughts on that?

What kind of video card do you have ?
Try booting the pc without the monitor attached. When it boots all the way then connect the monitor and see if you get an image.

Another thing to check is that if you have a dual headed video card, ensure that the one monitor is connected to the primary port (otherwise it won't receive a signal on system power up).

I have a eVGA.com e-geForce4 MX 440 SE card. It does have dual VGA ports and I tried both of them just to see if I could get something on the monitor but nothing. I'll try booting up without the monitor attached when I receive my CPU and fan back from New Egg.

Make sure you key the video card (jumper it) for 1.5v or you won't get any video. The slot will take either AGP or AGP PRO as long as it's 1.5v and not 3.3v
If your video card is not jumpered 1.5v then you are not getting enough power to the card to get video out.
Page 2 of the manual:
There's even a picture.

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

Sorry, for some reason the link will not work for me. The manual that came with the motherboard shows a picture of a graphics card keyed for 1.5 and my card has notches that look like the picture but nowhere on the box or the manual does it say anything about being a 1.5 v card. The only thing that it says about the requirements is that the slot must be AGP 2.0 or above. Does this mean that it's not a 1.5 v card? Sorry, if I'm ignorant about this. I'm new to graphics cards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back