Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Motherboard Boot Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

RookPSU

Programmer
Jan 9, 2003
US
I recently began to put together a PC for a friend of mine. All parts were brand new although they were all purchased from seperate vendors. I used an AsRock MB (maybe my first mistake) only because it was economical and I built a PC on one earler this year without a problem.

Everything seemed to go alright except for some reason it doesn't seem to want to boot when all my IDE components are hooked up (2 Maxtor HD's and Sony DVD-RW drive). The fans spin but it refuses to boot. The only way I could boot it was to hit the power with the DVD Drive not connected and then quickly plug it in before the bootstrap.
If I do this the BIOS will read the drive perfectly. I went ahead and installed the OS (XP) and setup the computer as if nothing was wrong. Any warm boots return without a problem but a cold boot takes me back to square one (fans spin, no POST) and I have to unplug the DVD drive to start it again. I tried a few other drives and cables however I received the same result. Unfortunately, once in a while, if I unhook the DVD drive it still doesn't boot. I'm forced to also unhook the slave HD before I can get a boot. This drive isn't as stubborn however as if I turn the computer off and on a few times I can generally get the computer to POST whereas with the DVD drive i've never been that lucky.

I don't know what's up. IDE controller? Defective board? Any ideas would be appreciated.

Are the drives set up as master/slave, or cable select? What is the drive configuration (primary master/ slave and secondary master/ slave). In Device Manager > IDE, are BOTH IDE channels set "on"? What size power supply? With three drives and a modern CPU, should be a minimum 350 - preferably 400+. Are hard drives 80 wire IDE cables? Some DVR's want 40 wire, and some want 80 wire. If none of this helps, post as much info about the system and setup as you can.

Drives are set up as master/slave.
HD's are set into IDE 0 as primary master/slave.
DVD-RW Drive is set to primary master on IDE 1.
Power supply is a brand new Altec 430.
I'm not sure about the IDE setup although I would assume if one was set to off then the DVD drive would fail to run at all.

Hardware:

Sony 16X DVD+/-RW /DW-D22A
VGA ATIOEM|RADEON 9800SE 128M 8X
512MB (2x256) Dual Channel PC3200 DDR 32x8
Barebones Kit w/ P4 3.2GHz - 1MB Cache (800 FSB)
ASRock P4S61 MB
ATX 300w Mini-Mid Tower (Replaced with 430w Altec)
Basic / Generic Fan/Heatsink (40mm)
(2) Maxtor 80GB HD

IDE sockets on the motherboard are not to be messed with while any power is going to the motherboard. You can short them out permanently. The computer should be unplugged when your are messing with them. I suggest trying cable select setting on the Optical drive and in the BIOS. I had issues with my Hard Drive not being usable unless I used the Cable Select setting. I was using a Ultra ATA cable with the Blue black and gray connectors.

If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Do you have any way to swap in a different power supply? What you have should be OK, but it might be defective.

I have the same issue recently just build a pc.
Pc would not boot up there are no BEEPS.
Checked the CPU,RAM,Video,Sound,IDE but no luck please help im building this for my little nephew for his BDAY please help me im a nuubee.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back