Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New mobo set up - computer doesn't finish "POST"? test 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

norushindude

Technical User
Apr 30, 2005
US
I have a new system...I was trying to install windows but computer didn't see the HD. I checked out answers online, & tried some stuff & now it sees the HD but after it gets to the PCI device listing it stays on that screen and doesn't continue test...it stops and the "cursor" line at the bottom of screen flashes.

I have seen this behavior where a floppy drive is installed and the cable is plugged in upside down. The floppy drive LED will usually be continuously lit too.

Are their any post beeps at all before it dies?

What is the spec of the machine?

to: Frank4d -- the ide cable will only go into the MB oneway. I did change it on the FD but still got the same prob. Also the FD does have a 4 pin conector on a cable that I don't know where to plug it in at.

to: dazzaboy -- it doesn't actually die but it does have one beep before anything appears on the screen.

Machine specs:
MB-ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe, CPU- AMD64 3800+ Athlon64 socket 939, DDRAM (2 sticks)Corsair 1GB 128X64 PC3200, Graphics card VGA GIGABYTE GV-NX66T 128 6600GT, HD 300GB Maxtor SATA, SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS PLATINUM

norushindude,

"Also the FD does have a 4 pin conector on a cable that I don't know where to plug it in at."

The floppy drive needs to have the ribbon cable and the power plug attached to it. They both plug into the back of the drive. The power plug goes near the round motor end of the drive.

To Mainegeek, Thank-you for the input. I do have the cable from the PS plugged into the FD & I have the "ribbon" cable plugged in too. It is just that the FD has a cable that is connected to it internally which comes out to a black rectangler plug that would seem to need to be plugged onto 4 pins on the MB or some other place that would communicate/recieve data from the FD. This plug has +5VDC, DATA+, DATA-, GRND.

norushindude,

"This plug has +5VDC, DATA+, DATA-, GRND."

Where are you reading this from?

Sounds more like the front usb panel connector got looped around through the floppy drive bay and the floppy drive got mounted on top of it.

I have never seen a floppy drive like that, though I haven't installed any floppy drives for several years now.

What make and model is the floppy drive?
How about some hardware specs. on your new build.

Why not just take the floppy drive out of the equation for now, just unhook it completely from the system and see if that helps you out.
these days we can live without a floppy anyway and if you can get the system working right then you can try again to install the floppy.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

maingeek, norushindude has stated his system specs, you likely missed them as they were at the bottom of a post:

Machine specs:
MB-ASUS A8N-SLI deluxe, CPU- AMD64 3800+ Athlon64 socket 939, DDRAM (2 sticks)Corsair 1GB 128X64 PC3200, Graphics card VGA GIGABYTE GV-NX66T 128 6600GT, HD 300GB Maxtor SATA, SoundBlaster Audigy 2ZS PLATINUM

As i suggested above, i think norushindude should just totally disconnect the floppy drive from the system at this point as it may very well be connected wrong, what with the explanation given it seems very strange. Could very well be the source of the problem he is having.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

To garebo; Hey...I guess it would of helped if I told you all that the FD was also a card reader. (oops!) Any way someone else also thought that the cable might be USB so I will check it out. I took my computer to the local pc-users club. They were able to get Windows installed for me. I was told that I had set the HD as the first place to boot from. ( I had meant to set the CD disk drive to be the first place.) As there was nothing on the HD...well you know! The people that helped there (at the club) still had a bit of a time trying to get windows installed. The guy who did most of it said that he moved stuff from the windows cd to a floppy so they could install it ...something to do with the SATA HD not being seen until after the windows stuff was already installed...I think that is what he said.!?!??? Hey, thank-you... all of you, for helping me!

norushindude
Sounds like your floppy drive has an integrated card reader?
The extra cable is for USB header pin outs on the motherboard.
As USB header pin outs DO NOT ALL conform to the same layout it is important that the pin-outs correspond to this plug.
There tends to be a common wiring orientation with two rows running side by side

VCC1 1Data- 1Data+ 1GND

VCC2 2Data- 2Data+ 2GND

As for your non boot
You need to take the setup back to bare minimum:
Don't forget the extra P4 power connector

Motherboard with CPU/cooler/1stick of ram/PSU and graphics
NOTHING ELSE! no addon cards,HDD's, roms
Get it to post properly first
Then add the hard drive
One CDrom
etc etc
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back