Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Mobo.. now booting loop 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

techtobe

Technical User
Nov 23, 2003
US
I had to replace a motherboard in a system. Once that was done, I booted computer and the Windows splash screen appears then I get a blue screen and computer reboots (I cant read the message). This happens in Safe Mode as well. I also tried "Last Known..." I figured that I would try to do a repair install of XP Pro but set up tells me it cannot find a hard drive, yet in the BIOS its there and Windows does try to boot. This is not a like for like mobo replacement. Asus P4S800D-X for a P4P800 SE. Does anyone have any ideas?

Is this a SATA drive that requires drivers for the SATA controller?

This is a SATA drive. I have enabled the SATA controller on the mobo.

Enabling the sata drive does not help you much in istalling xp. ou must supply the sata drivers during xp intallation from a floppy. Hit F6 when it asks you. then inserth the floppy and do a normal installation.
Good luck

Jurgen

I guess you are trying to boot from an existing install of XP? one that was configured on the old platform with a SIS chipset but now the system is Intel 865PE chipset based!
So it's know wonder you have a boot loop/blue screen scenario.
You need to format and clean install, simple as that.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

If you choose the second repair option you should have the ability to add the drivers. It is not the Repair Console, pass that and continue as if clean-installing Windows...you should come to the second repair option, choose it and press F6 at the appropriate time to load the new drivers (there should be a makedisk on the mainboard CD).

While this MAY work, it is still best to format and clean install. No sense having your new PC slowed down by a crippled OS!

Tony

Thank you to all for responding. I have tried to do the second repair option but it never gets there because the Set up program says there is no hard drive. So I am confused as what to do because it appears that I cannot even do a fresh install.

The confusing part is that windows does try to boot so it does see the hard drive but when trying to repair\install it states no hard drive is found.

techtobe - read the posts - you need to have the SATA drivers on a floppy disk. Then shortly after starting the install process (booting from XP CD), you are prompted to press F6 if you want to supply drivers. Press F6 - then later you will be prompted for the floppy. Once its read the floppy it will be able to see the drive and you can do your repair reinstall (or clean install). The SATA drivers should be on the CD that came with the motherboard - they may also have already been provided on floppy.

It seems likely that you need to install drivers for your SATA controller right at the beginning of XP install, at the point it asks if you need to install any 3rd party drivers press F6.
At this point you need to have a the SATA drivers extracted to a floppy disk, choose the correct one for your OS, continue, it should now see the drive.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Heck I just start tapping F6 when it asks for the "any" key to boot from CD...it happens quickly...how many of us have reached for coffee and realized the "F6 window" had passed???

Oh and make sure you are using a PS/2 keyboard and mouse as USB and especially wireless keyboards may not be recognized properly.

You can download the SATA drivers for the mainboard here:

On the page:

it says: "Please use 1007 or later version BIOS or you might have problem when using new IAA driver." Heed that warning. If you are using an older version of the BIOS (it tells you its ver.# at boot) use the drivers on the CD or flash your BIOS with 1007 ver.#

View the README in the .zip file as to how to make a floppy boot disk.

Tony

I am happy to say that everything is working fine. I loaded the sata drivers and ran a repair on the windows installation. Thank you all for the responses. I appreciate the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back