Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New mobo installed...check signal cable error on monitor..no boot

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajajakr

Technical User
Dec 3, 2001
US
New 250W PS
New Intel 815EPEA2 Mobo
New Case
Used 2-128 Mg Ram
used 667 Cel CPU & Fan
Used 3 1/2 floppy
New 20Gig MAxtor HHD
New Polaroid 24X CE-RW
Used 15" monitor
Used Voodoo3 2000 vid card
New Mouse
New Keyboard
All used work.
Only question is CPU came out of machine hit by lightning,
and computer techs said mobo was bad.
My question is problably answered by my last sentence but I would like to be sure before I spend more money on a processor since I have no way of testing this one. This is a test build before I start the more expensive on so i don't what to get a lot stuck in it. That is one of the reason I bought this cheap board is to match the CPU. Yah, I know, one that was in a system hit by lightng. :(
Christmas tree lights don't go all the way to the top. :)
OK enough bashing myself:

Computer turns on, CPU fan runs, case fan runs, green light on board is on, light for HHD, floppy, power are on.
Monitor shows check signal cable.
The front power switch is doesn't shut the computer off or turn it on for that matter. Check connects and they appear to be in the right places.
The computer does not beep when turned on. I have speakers plug into the back audio. The front speaker with the case has no where to jumper on the main board. I unsure of how to jumper to a peripheral power conn(i don't know if a speaker is 5V or not) and if it is the right way to do it.
I have disconnected the floppies, and HHD, CD-RW and still acts the same.
I have tried the vid card in 2 different slots and no difference.
CPU the culprit? "Patience is but a waste of time"

What do you have the board speed set at? ie: 66mhz? 100mhz?

I had the same problem with my new asus board and another older board. It is most likely your cpu. I also lost mine to a lighting storm. If the cpu is bad, nothing will function, it may get power, but wont do nothing. I'd try another cpu. If that doesnt work, check the PS or the Motherboard.

mainegeek;
I don't see where this can be set by jumpers on the board. Nothing in the setup guide I got with board. Needless to say I can't get into BIOS to look at those settings.

fugigoose:
That's what I was kind of afraid of. All right if that's the case, next step, what processor out of the celeron line. The board supports up to the 1.4G in the celeron and up to 1 G in Pentium III. I don't want to spend the $100+ for the III. Pricewatch has 800 Cel @ $54 and 1.3 Cel at $68 with all others inbetween. I don't think this board has a lot of O'C options so that shouldn't be a issue.
Best preformance for the money recommendation.
Thanks
"Patience is but a waste of time"

I am back.
I tried a different CPU and will start to boot.
I can get into BIOS.
When it tries to go into full boot I get a drive not ready, system halted.
1st boot floppy, 2nd cd-Rom, 3rd brand new harddrive.
I tried a window boot disk, and can't get any farther.
Tried different floppy no change,
It is like its not going to the floppy for the boot.
Bios shows it all recognized.
Suggestions?
I may use the old hard drive and see what happens. I wanted to do this way so that I started out with a clean system. "Patience is but a waste of time"

Booted with old hard drive. Got into everything.
Tried to change display it was showing 16 colors with vertical lines. I added voodoo driver and it installed, hung up for a bit. I did a ctl-alt-del and it asked me if I wanted to shut down. Click yes.
Everything shutdown. Now I have no power. PS doesn't run and there is juice to plug. What the h#%& happened?

Booted with old hard drive. Got into everything.
Tried to change display it was showing 16 colors with vertical lines. I added voodoo driver and it installed, hung up for a bit. I did a ctl-alt-del and it asked me if I wanted to shut down. Click yes.
Everything shutdown. Now I have no power. PS doesn't run and there is juice to plug. What the h#%& happened?
Gary

Things are going from bad to worse...I'm visitor.
Time to crash along with everything else that has. If anyone has any ideas of what just happened with the system I was working on, I would appreciate input.
Good night
Gary "Patience is but a waste of time"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back