Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New MoBo, how can I get XP to boot? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlabrnthy

Technical User
Jan 19, 2004
US
I had an HPXT983 that mobo went out on. The os, XP, is on a partition on the hard drive. I put a new ASUS P4P800vm and P4/Celeron and the other HP parts in a new box, When I start up I get to the select windows 'mode' screen, next screen is error message ""windows shut down.....etc, restart and/or run chkdsk.....etc"". The harddrive is a Samsung sv400. Could the jumpers be wrong on the hdd? Where do I go from here.?
Thanks, Rick

XP does not like it when you change hardware. You may get away with a OS repair but it would be best if you did a clean install.

HP with Home xp os I assume. You are going to have a hard time because that system is configured to run on that HP model.Try a bootover repair with xp home cd.

The problem with Win2000 & WinXP is the IDE drivers. The best way to replace a motherboard is to get a board with the same chipset company. If the HP had an intel chipset, get another intel chipset; if the HP had a VIA chipset, get another VIA chipset. This almost always allows the machine to boot up perfectly first try (I've seen it work every time I've tried). You don't have to match the chipset model, just the company & their ide controllers are similar enough that the installed drivers can work with both.

That's really the only way to get them up and running.

You can swap between chipsets ONLY if you have one of each boards that still work; boot up with the original & remove the ide drivers from the device manager, then make the switch.

I've never found any way around the IDE drivers problem.

Added comments, XP is actually very strong in terms of hardware changes... all except for the IDE controller, it's achillies heel.

Once around the IDE controller, the HP machine will get you to the logon screen, and make you call Microsoft to re-activate the OS. I'll give you a tip to save time as I've gone through this; the current HP install uses a different product key than what's on the side of the case, and cannot be re-activated. The activation screen gives you a button to click on & change the product key. Do that & enter in the number on the side of the case, then call Microsoft.

Once done, your current install of WinXP will run great on the new board.

Actually I went from a VIA to an Intel chip set. Sence I want to get away from the HP entirely it may be easier to get a retail version of XP and do a clean install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back