Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New memory not detected 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

aug4570

Technical User
Jul 6, 2000
US
Compaq Presario 400 Mhz AMD-K6 previously had 128MB & 64MB RAM and very, very sluggish. In hopes of improving performance, installed a 256MB SDRam 133 Mhz in 1st slot w/128MB in 2nd slot and removed the 64MB (3 slots available). After rebooting, only 128MB is detected. What did I do wrong? Help! Thanks.

First, I assume you have tried reseating the stick.
Different types of memory are sometimes incompatible with each other, try removing the 128 and see if it detects the 256 on its own. If it does not then your 256 is probably either faulty or incompatible with your m'board. Its a fact that some m'boards do not like certain makes of RAM, particularly the no-name sticks.

Super Socket 7 motherboards often use the memory module installed in DIMM slot 1 to detect the speed of the memory.

These boards do not support a 133MHz FSB, so the 133MHz memory module in DIMM slot 1 is throwing the detection process off.

The 128MB module you have is probably PC-100/100MHz. If you install that module in DIMM slot 1 and the 256MB PC-133/133MHZ module in DIMM slot 2 then the memory will probably be detected correctly, as 100MHz, and everything will work fine.
Try it and let me know if it works or not.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

Yes, the 128 is 100Mhz and the 256 is 133Mhz. Switched the boards and put the 128 in the 1st slot and the 256 in the 2nd but it still detecting only the 128. Any other recommendations(otherwise than the nagging thought that the board's either defective or incompatible and i'll probably have to return it and pay a restocking fee :-( )?

The issue on these older boards (as I understand it)is that some of them cannot recognise the larger processing chips used on these newer memory strips.
An old 32mb might have been 4X8 meg processors or 8X4.
Now a 256 has to have much bigger modules on it to make the numbers, it is these that can't be detected.
Any how going from 192mb to 384mb won't make your system any faster, just a little better at multi tasking. Martin Vote if you found this post helpful please!!

You could have a defective memory module.
The 133MHz memory may not work with your motherboard.
Your motherboard may not support the 256MB memory module.

Without knowing what motherboard you have I can't say for sure. Tell me what motherboard you have and I will try to help.

John

How or where do I go to find out what type of motherboard is in this Compaq? Do I need to physically look on the motherboard for a label w/specs or is it somewhere in Windows? Thanks.

The first thing to do is to see if you have the original manual or any documentation that came with your computer. Look for any information that may help to identify your motherboard.

The next thing is to physically look at the motherboard. There may be a brand name, model number, or logo printed on the board.

While you are checking, look at the chipset (one or two large chips soldered to the motherboard) and write down any information printed on the chips.

If you can't determine the manufacturer and model after looking at the motherboard, post the information and I or someone else might be able to help you to identify the board.

You can also go to the following website and download the BIOS Agent.

Run the BIOS wizard and post the information in the bottom section of the window if you still need help identifying the board. The BIOS ID string and BIOS OEM Signon usually give a clue to the motherboard's maker.

The next and least desirable solution is to post the exact model of your Compaq Presario. Compaq's website doesn't offer very much information but you might get lucky.

As a last resort you could try contacting Compaq's Technical Support by telephone.

Customers used to tell me they bought a Compaq because they could count on Technical Support. What a joke! :)

Hope this helps. Good luck.

John

Compaq has fairly good spec info at their support site. It is sometimes hard to find thru all their menues. Let us know what the Model Name, Model Number and Serial Number of the system and I will rumage thru their site. (I have spent hours there, I have or have had about 50 different Compaqs in my life.) I've been there done that.

All you really need to know is the model number of the PC like "Persario 8750" or whatever. You can then search for specs and manuals on the web site. If the system is a Compaq then the MOB is a Compaq MOB. From a careful reading of the specs you can findout what type of memory can be used. I do know that if you don't get exactly the right type Compaq computers aren't happy. If you find a Compaq part number any good memory vendor, PNY or Viking, can cross reference it. I think PNY guarentees compatibility.

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

Thanks for the help so far. My Compaq's Model 5240. RJK,went to the Compaq site and, after much searching, I manage to get a little more info. My computer can have a maximum 384MB memory so, if my math talents are still working, 256 + 128 should work. However, I notice that the modules listed for purchase on Compaq's site are 128MB SDRAM (both PC100 or 133) and smaller. Nothing larger than 128MB.

John, as for the motherboard, my computer manual had no info and I haven't been able to go back into the case yet. I did find an old Compaq Diagnostics info sheet that I printed when I first got the computer. It lists on it the Bios Vendor's Name as Compaq, Version 686Al, Base Board Manufacturer's Name as Compaq, Product Name 043Ch. Is that Base Board the same as the motherboard? I plan to go back in there today and look for the things you mentioned. I'll let you know. Also, I tried to go to the bios upgrades website and couldn't find it.

Thanks again for the help.

Did you find this page?

100 MHz SDRAM DIMM Memory Module
-- 128 MB 387073-001
-- 64 MB 320670-001
-- 32 MB 319326-001

Use the description and spare part numbers above to get PNY or Viking memory for your machine. Only get 100Mhz SDRAM DIMM in these increments. Don't buy 133MHz or any other kind of RAM. Compaq is very picky.

The two rules for success are:
1. Never tell them everything you know.

My first question is whether the slot will recognize such a big chip. I have a Micron 400MHz that would not take more than 128MB per slot (3 slots), that is, before my latest BIOS update (it will now accept 256MB). Also, placing the faster component before the slower one can sometimes cause problems. A component sometimes can adjust its speed to accomodate a prior slower one, but it can't speed up to accomodate a faster one. It is a good idea, however, to keep the speeds of the relative chips identical. One more thing: Purchase memory from a good, reliable source, such as Crucial or TigerDirect. There is memory--and then there is memory.

Oh yes, on the mobo specs. Go to download Sandra Standard, and install and run it. It is a free download, and it will tell you everything you need to know.

Your motherboard is a proprietary model manufactured specifically for Compaq.

It does not support 256MB memory modules. It does support up to three 128MB memory modules for a total of 384MB.

Crucial Technology says the board will support their 128MB/133MHz memory module. Part no. CT182541
For more info click on the link below:

The only reason to use PC-133 memory instead of PC-100 memory is if you anticipate buying a system, in the future, that can use 133MHz memory .
You can then transfer the PC-133 memory to your new system.

There is no advantage gained by using PC-133 memory in the Compaq Presario 5240 system that you have now.

There is a BIOS update available for your system. It says it provides "Added support for new DIMM memory modules."

I don't know what that means but it might be worth trying, especially if you plan to upgrade your Operating System to Win 2000/XP.
The NT Kernel Operating Systems can take advantage of memory greater than 512MB.

If you plan to stay with Win 98 limit the memory to 384MB.

Be cautious if you choose to update your system's BIOS. Read all the instructions carefully.

Updating the BIOS may add support for the 256MB memory modules, then again maybe not.

You can download the BIOS update here:

Hope this helps. Good luck. Thanks for the star. :)

John

Now, who gave me a star for this? I write a half-page dissertation elsewhere, and nothing. Oh well, thanks.

I gave u that star Topscribe. Went to that site u cited, downloaded Sandra Standard and ran it on my 'puter. It provided a lot of interesting info about my computer and gave recommendations on improving my system.
After all the help and information everyone has given me, I'm returning the memory board to the store since I can't use it. But I do thank each of you for the help. John, I'll check out that site for the Bios update.
As always, this forum, actually this website, has never let me down and has always provided valuable, interesting information from knowledgeable and informative people. Thank you all, keep up the good work and have a Happy New Year! *<|:)

Well, thanks for the star. I'm certainly glad I could help by introducing you to Sandra. I'm just sorry nothing could be done short of your taking the board back. But this thread alone shows there are people who genuinely care. You are certainly right about this forum.

Best to you and yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back