Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Memory in older PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dupuytren

IS-IT--Management
Jan 30, 2003
US
I have a PC that I built about 5 years ago that uses PC2700 DDR RAM memory. What would happen if I purchased 1.0 gig of the newest spec RAM, say a DDR2 667MHz strip with the same pin configuration as the old RAM and put it in the old PC? Would it just operate at the slower buss speed or refuse to operate altogether? I know - "Why would you do that?" I just want to boost my current (old) system with some RAM that I could potentially use when I inevitably have to build a new PC.

DDR2 is not compatible pin-wise with DDR.

You'll need DDR333 (PC2700) or DDR400 (PC3200) SDRAM.

OOPS - didn't realize there was a pin incompatibility! New motherboards I would use to build a new PC are all DDR2, I guess, so my plan won't work.

Yeah, it's a pain.

I bought a PC in late 2004 that was high-end (at the time) - AthlonXP 3200+, 1GB of RAM, 200GB HDD, GeForce 5600 etc.

But since then, PCI-E, DDR2, 64-Bit and SATA are now all standard and that PC has none of them.

Fairly depressing, but what can you do?

Theory and practice. Hype and reality. IfF any salesman senses that you can afford a new system he will use every possible lie to make you purchase.

Do not think that your PC is doomed because it can't support DDR2 or PCI express. You can still get some good juice out of it. DDR2 does not imply that in practice a PC with DDR2 will perform twice as fast in memory transfers. Similarly good PCIe cards have a very similar performance in their AGP version. Have a look at this article.

The DX10 generation of graphics cards may just not exist in AGP form so yes the PCIe cards will be better next year. But actually the theoretical advantage of PCIe isn't high-enough to throw away your system. More memory and a good graphics card (if you play 3D games) will delay by at least another year the big expense of a new system that is worth the change.

Oh, I know, I plan on that system being my dad's main PC for another 3 years at least.

Tis still slightly depressing though, lol.

Dupuytren,

For future reference when you mix different speed modules of the same type (DIMM, S0-DIMM, DDR, etc) the clock speed will default to the lowest speed module. So, if you were to find a great deal on PC3200 it should work, but it will perform at the PC2700 clock speed of the old module.

As a rule, for optimum performance, it is always best to use only the same type, brand and speed of RAM when multiple modules are used, but I will admit to mixing & matching all sorts of RAM on workgroup PCs that work fine...but never on my personal machine or server!

Tony

I am in the fortunate position of being able to buy my upgrade parts at cost, this however sounds better than it really is because of the small mark up on retail PC components (between 10 and 15% profit)and I'm in the UK so all our parts are 20/40% more anyway.

One of my close friends absolutely has to have the very latest hardware, so he upgrades at least three times a year
(he just bought a 8800GTX for his main rig) and as a consequence has to move his "OLD" parts on (when I say old, I mean nothing more than 6months)
So although I do buy new parts, at least half are his cast off's ie: SATAII 16meg HDD and a 7900GT are recent hand me downs.
I do pay for them but at mate's rate's lol, I still end up spending between £600 and £1000 a year though! (not just on one PC) but that upgrade wheel just never stops turning.

Hmmmm, a 8800GTS might be nice lol
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Well... It seems I should just find some cheap PC2700 RAM because it's going to run at the slow buss speed and I won't be able to use it on a new build anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back