Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New mail server only sends

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hondy

Technical User
Mar 3, 2003
GB
Hi

I have set up a new mail server in an existing site, the only issue I have is that I can't send mail to the users on the new server. I can send out from the same inboxs, any ideas what is wrong here?

Thanks

p.s. sending mails to users on the new server when logged in as a user on the new server works ok - it's only when I log try to send mails in between the old server and the new one.

Anyone know what is missing? There doesn't appear to be any errors, it's more like a config issue.

Thanks

Is the MTA running on both servers?

How did you set up connectors?

it will be the connectors, not something i have done before - what do i need to configure or is it obvious?

also, I am running mixed mode, I am a little nervous of changing to native - will this be a factor?

Thanks

Switching to native is a no brainer, just do it.

Have you not created any connectors?

no i haven't yet, i read that adding SMTP connectors may cause problems, what sort of connector should i do?

The thing i don't like about switching to native is the server isn't in the best condition and the process is irreversible if it goes wrong :s

If I take a copy of the db files can I recover from just those or is it more complicated than that?

Cheers

H

Going to native mode just means you can't have Exchange 5.5 servers in the mix. It writes some bits into AD IIRC and from memory takes about 1 second - it doesn't even dismount the store.

Ok, i did that but still no joy.

I think i need to create a connector but a bit unsure as to what I need to create? Any pointers?

Cheers

the 2 servers are members in the same routing group, should they automatically talk to each other?

I'm stuck at the moment - until the 2 servers can talk to each other the new one isn't any use. There is an amount of configuration still to be done as regards external mail, but this is a fairly fundamental.

Any help appreciated.

Still no joy - is there anything at all i can try?

Do you have any errors in the event logs on either server?

Also, for my own curiosity, what did you name your smtp servers?

no, no errors in the logs at all, I think its just a config issue but I haven't needed to do this before.

Do I need to allow relaying from the new server perhaps?

Server names eh? are you stuck for some ideas for yours or you want to relay ;) JK

No I don't want to relay!! ;)

I think I remember there were some issues between two servers when one of the smtp servers had the same name as your email domain but I'm not sure.....it was a while ago when I saw that......

aha ok :) no different names, same site though, I think it maybe the relaying properties of the old server that is perhaps restricting the new one so thats the next thing to try.

Thanks for the prompt though :)

Can you confirm that the SMTP VSI on the old server does not have an entry in the "smarthost" box?

There is a smart host configured, it forwards to our antivirus/spam product suppliers, will that affect it?

Thanks

Paul

I'm still no further on with this, anyone able to help?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back