Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new machine problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

dooahhdoo

ISP
May 15, 2001
GB
I have just built a new machine with an AMD 1.2 GHz processor on Aopen AK73 pro M/B with 300W PSU.I had 2 hard disks with dual boot (win ME and 2K), 256 MB PC100 SDRAM and a 32mb tnt2 AGP card in my old machine and installed them in my new one. At first I could not get win 2k to run I was getting errors and win ME was generating errors also. I ended up formatting the 2k disk but still could not get any OS to load onto it. I removed the heatsink and processor and re-seated them which then enabled me to install 2K. My problem is now a random reboot on both OS's but it seems to be when something processor intensive is running ie video editing. Games play fine. Sometimes it re-boots when I dial up to the internet and open Internet explorer. I was advised that I needed branded 133 RAM as my stuff is generic and only PC100. Could this be causing these random re-boots? I dont really want to spend any more cash upgrading the RAM and still have the problem.
I have the latest drivers for everything and the via 4in1 installed. BIOS is set to default mode NOT Turbo.
ANY input will be greatly appreciated. :-(

:(

Sorry... my guess is that the RAM is your problem...

Try the viahardware.com for more info on the chipset... maybee some wrong setup might be doing some harm around there!!!

(check up those patches for PCI latency...!!!)

You dont really need a branded RAM to perform nicelly... but it helps!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back