Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New life for Dell Inspiron 4000 LCD screen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWgeek

Programmer
Mar 18, 2004
US
I have an "old" Dell Inspiron 4000 laptop and I would like to make use of the LCD screen. I've been Google searching for LCD connections, and just about every combination thereof. I basically need three things:

1. The pin-out for the VGA video cable and which pin goes to which pin on the LCD screen

2. If there are any components that I need to get ahold of to "process" the VGA signal before it gets to the LCD connector. Do I need to build some sort of breakout box? Note: My soldering and breaboarding skills are enough to be dangerous :)

3. Any links that might discuss this process? Not sure if this has been discussed to death or not.

When I get this working, I will post the finished circuit [URL to JPG and discussion].

Thank you, in advance, for ANY links or advice

I know this isn't a helpful answer and not even an answer at all, but good luck I hope you are successful. That is a truly inspirational tech task. Great idea. Let us know how it turns out.

Skip,

Thanks for the post. Still a bit frustrating to toss a seemingly "good" LCD display because of a CPU or other failure. I was trying to Google up a search on LCD hacks, but didn't get very far. I'm fairly dangerous with a low-wattage soldering iron and would be willing [dumb enough?] to attempt a wiring hack if anyone could suggest one :)

I've heard it mentioned in a few places that the video drivers for the LCD display are actually part of the proprietary motherboard? Good grief :(

BTW, I visited and bookmarked your site. Very informative. Got a good laugh out of the "How NOT to..." section for applying thermal paste.

Lynn

The only thing i've heard someone do with an old laptop LCD is place it inside a car. I was at a Car Show once, and saw a Chevy Tahoe with a 13 inch LCD built into the center console. Pretty cool lookin too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back