Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new laptop using Windows98SE

Status
Not open for further replies.

spc2941

Technical User
Sep 21, 2007
US
hi all,

i have a dell D830 notebook. it is a new computer, but i need to install windows 98 SE on it. The reason is that i have a program that only runs on windows 98. I've tried XP's compatible program, but it doesn't work. I get a runtime error 91. When i install windows 98 SE, the doesn't complete. After the second reboot, the computer reboots. I see the windows 98 screen, but then it dies there with a black screen right before the desktop screen. I've tried the install 5 times already with the same results. I am able to go to safe mode, but the system doesn't recognize my CD rom drive. I've read a lot of post on here about this, but i didn't find the answer anywhere. Currently, I have my system with dual boot; XP and windows98. I formatted windows98 as my primary with FAT and XP as NTFS. Please let me know if there's away around this. I'm pretty amateur when it comes to computer install so please step by step the instructions. thank you life savers.

My suggestion would be to use XP as your primary operating system, then install Virtual PC 2007, next install Win98se using Virtual PC, that should work around the driver problems. Virtual PC 2007 is a free download from Microsoft.

xit

I agree with xit. in your particular scenario, Microsoft's Virtual PC would be the easiest and most practical option.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

couple of questions. if i were to do this, would i format the hard drive as fat32 or ntfs, would i need to do a partition? I believe virtual PC is not compatable with XP home edition, but I'm not sure.. has anyone tried it with home edition instead of pro?

The Web page for it says it only runs on Pro. Although I'm not sure if its a real limit or just a support deal from Microsoft.

As for the partition, virtual Machine will create a virtual hard drive for you to install win98 on. All you'll need to do is have a Win98 boot diskette handy, and boot from it. Format the virtual drive in fat32 for for Win98 and then run the win98 installation from the CD.

No additional partitions need to be made. And you can specify the size of the virtual hard drive.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back