Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New language evironment in Solaris 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

olli2003

Technical User
Jan 31, 2003
DE
Hi,
I'm a dummy in SUN! Well, I've to install a new language environment.
That must be: de_DE.UTF-8, de_DE.UTF8@euro.

The machine it's a SPARC proc. in a 64-Bit environment.

I've looked in internet and found the package "SUNWeu8ox" for UTF-8 for the American English. That would be ok, too I think!?
But if I go to the current package on the CD Medium (/cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris_9/Product/<package>) and want to start with:

#pkgadd -d SUNWeu8ox

the error "no packages were found" occurs.

Why? I don't understand! I've used the CD 1 of 2 CDs. I wonder that there is a special language CD avaiable, too. For what?
For UTF-8, it's only this package I've to install? What's the different between "OS Environment User Files" and "Environment User Files". (for each one a separate package)

Thanks a lot for your help!

Kind Regards
Oliver

try -

#pkgadd -d ./SUNWeu8ox (After CD to the correct directory)

or

#pkgadd -d /cdrom/cdrom0/Solaris_9/Product/SUNWeu8ox (from anywhere)

Steve

Hey Steve,
thanks for the info! Well, suddenly it was working like you said :) But another thing ... do I have to reboot the machine if I've installed and export a new language environment at all? I've already added an entry in the /etc/profile file.

Thanks & Regards
Oliver

Hello Gys,
well, anyway I've installed the english UTF-8 package.
The strange thing is, that the machine gives me a warning of the current timezone. Is it equal, or should I've take care of that?
How can I takeover the parameter as a global setting for the system? I've to set LANG and CTYPE Parameter to UTF-8.

The current output is:

# locale
LANG=POSIX
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES=C
LC_ALL=
# locale -a
POSIX
C
iso_8859_1
iso_8859_15
en_CA
en_CA.ISO8859-1
en_US
en_US.ISO8859-1
en_US.ISO8859-15
en_US.ISO8859-15@euro
es
es_MX
es_MX.ISO8859-1
fr
fr_CA
fr_CA.ISO8859-1
en
common
en_US.UTF-8

Where can I download or find the german UTF-8 package?

Thank you a lot!

Kind Regards
Oliver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back