Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New lan, can't access webmail from inside

Status
Not open for further replies.

mucous

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
US
Hi,

We just installed all new Win2k Servers and Workstation in our office. We also have a new firewall...sonicwallpro.
We hired a consultant to do the main server and firewall config and I setup the rest. My problem is that we are sporadically able to get on the net to check webmail, ie: webmail.rcn.com and so on, but it seems like every other day, we can't access that same site. Our consultant is at a loss and so am I. I'm afraid I don't have enough experience in this area myself to know what could be the cause. We can get to the internet just fine, and I've explicitly told the firewall to allow all of the webmail sites used by our office, but it keeps happening. I sure would appreciate any suggestions on what to look for to resolve this. I apologise if this might not be the correct forum for my question.

Thank you

Don't use the external address of your webmail host when you're inside the network. Either use the NETBIOS name or the internal IP address (i.e. I even wrote a simple webpage that detects the host's IP address and redirects accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back