Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Job Offer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDTekUser

Technical User
Dec 25, 2005
US
I recently went to an interview and received a job offer. I interviewed directly with the CEO about improving their web site as well as migrating some of their Access/VB projects to the .NET architecture. This seems exciting to me.

I will get a sizable raise in pay and the commute will be 1/3 what it is now. The commuting costs me 12 dollars a day, which really adds up. The one downer is that I really love the people I work with. They are the best group I have ever been with.

The one sticking point is that they want me to come in before the normal two-week notice. I'm a bit against that because I feel it's a common courtesy and an act of professionalism to give the standard two weeks.

But also I have been confronted with a set of extenuating circumstances that may justify giving 10 days instead.

1- My project manager bolted last week unannounced
2- The increase I was promised 2 months ago has not materialized
3- It was announced this week one of the main projects I have been working on has lost its funding and will go away.

Obviously this is my decision to make but I wanted to get some feedback from others.

I have also decided that I would be willing to be available to my current company as needed to help in any transitions.

Thanks everyone for your support. I am going to learn a lot and I'll let you know how things go.

just remember who counts. you and your family, and I know a thousand companies that would drop someone like a hot rock if the shoe was on the other foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back