Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Job Offer 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDTekUser

Technical User
Dec 25, 2005
US
I recently went to an interview and received a job offer. I interviewed directly with the CEO about improving their web site as well as migrating some of their Access/VB projects to the .NET architecture. This seems exciting to me.

I will get a sizable raise in pay and the commute will be 1/3 what it is now. The commuting costs me 12 dollars a day, which really adds up. The one downer is that I really love the people I work with. They are the best group I have ever been with.

The one sticking point is that they want me to come in before the normal two-week notice. I'm a bit against that because I feel it's a common courtesy and an act of professionalism to give the standard two weeks.

But also I have been confronted with a set of extenuating circumstances that may justify giving 10 days instead.

1- My project manager bolted last week unannounced
2- The increase I was promised 2 months ago has not materialized
3- It was announced this week one of the main projects I have been working on has lost its funding and will go away.

Obviously this is my decision to make but I wanted to get some feedback from others.

I have also decided that I would be willing to be available to my current company as needed to help in any transitions.

I decided to stay with my current job. They ended up giving me a raise. The job is very easy and I have it down pat.

The new job I thought was a bit over my head so I called them and told them that. It was a hard decision to make.
MDTekuser,
In my opinion, and please don't take this wrong, but it sounds like you backed down from a challenge that would have let you grow. You've stayed with a job you 'have down pat', so how will you learn, grow, and advance?

If the other place actually gave you an offer, then they liked something about you and would have had patience if it took you a while to get going, and would have accepted a few stumbles early on. If the job was that exciting to you, I think you would have done what it takes to overcome the challenges.

I've been there--years ago I was offered into a critical Oracle project at a major trading floor when I'd never used Oracle at all. The developer who was to do it originally went back to his home country. I was like a frightned kid shoved onto a roller coaster after a big bowl of chile. I had the chance to bail, but in the infamous words of Tom Cruise I said 'What the F***' and did it. I was up till 3 am every night the first week catching up and studying Oracle, and after that it gradually became easier and after a month it was a breeze and I was in tight. After 6 months I was our firm's 'Oracle guy'.

I think you should still try to go back and get that job or another like it, because as chiph suggested, your replacement could be that guy you see waiting at the reception desk.
--Jim

Well, it is too late at this point. I feel I need to get better in order to take a job like that. I think in another year I will be ready.

And actually they aren't looking to replace me at the job I am at now. The other developers were happy because they had frightened looks on their face when I had told them I was leaving.

Frankly I was afraid of taking this job and being good enough.

Places now want people to know it all before they take a job. There's no place for stumbling or making mistakes.

I think I made the right choice. THe place was not mad that I was honest enough to tell them that I wasn't ready for this job yet.

The guy who interviewed me was a CEO and he didn't have any technical knowledge. He was not able to put bullet holes through my knowledge base by asking a lot of technical questions.

All I did was provide a list of about 15 things that I thought could be done to improve his company's web site.

I am not a senior level developer.

When I can get to the point of creating a professional looking web site on my own, without any assistance from anyone else, then I think I'll be ready for a job such as this.

I'm able to create functional web pages and incorporate crystal reports into a web application, but I'm just not a senior level know it all at this point.

I spent several nights not getting sleep. I paced the floors in the early morning. I questioned to myself whether I was good enough for this or not. Some days I felt so excited that I would be doing this job and other days frightened to death that I wouldn't be able to do it.

I feel I made the right decision in the end.

Another chance like this may never come again and that was the risk I took but I didn't want to end up in the unemployment line if I didn't do the job well.

The current job I have now gives me an income while I can study and work on things to the point where I am a know enough to tackle the more difficult projects.

It was one of the hardest decisions I've made in my life.

The best project I have created is a time tracking application that had a whopping user base of 50 people. Accounting uses it to submit allocation of time to the federal government in order to be billed for invoices.

On my own time I upsized it to MSDE/SQL Server. I learned to do the stored procedures, etc. I upsized it to a web application but they didn't want to use it. Nobody asked me or told me to do it, I wanted to improve my skills.

Every day after work I study web design or databases or something. I want to do well and get better. I've never had anyone to go to guide me, I've only had myself. If I don't know the answer I have to go find it.

But you're right, I should have taken it and now I'm paying the consequences. I learned a valuable lesson the hard way.

I let the pressure of it all get to me and I backed down.

I should have listened to your wisdom. I just hope somewhere down the road another chance like this will come before me.

MDTekUser,
There will be other opportunities, there always are. And I've found the programming world is often like The Wizard of Oz. You hear of some exalted consulting firm, or you see some glossy brochure for some fancy business software and wonder what it must be like working there. You think it must a team of expert developers driving around in Porsches and to be on that team must be some exalted glory, and just to see them you'd have to bow before some fiery-headed creature like the Wizard.

Then you finally meet them, or even work on the team--and you see that behind that curtain it's just a bunch of regular guys who worry about if their code is right, make mistakes, and are still asking questions and learning like all of us.
--Jim

You're very insightful.

I think one of the reasons I didn't take the job was also because I lacked confidence. I don't question my motivation, desire or wanting to give 100%. I question my ability sometimes because I thought that if I were really a good programmer, I wouldn't struggle so much.

I'm almost 42 and I wonder if the chances will come again. I screwed up but I know at least I have an income right now and I'm glad about that.

I want you to know now why I said that I think you made the right decision. I still think, at the moment, it was.
Experience is the best teacher. Doubting yourself, and passing on that opportunity can be the experience you needed to learn not to doubt yourself in the future. If you now have learned this, then you now have what you lacked to succeed. Having faith in things working out for the best, regardless if that is from accomplishment, or from the learning established by failure is powerful in facing challenges. Most great leaps are preceeded by set backs, failures, or bankruptcies, either singular or in multiples. Each contribute to the next effort, I doubt this will be something you do not learn from, and take forward into your future challenges.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

MDTEKUSER don't keep putting yourself down for what's already a past issue. The moment and that oportunity are now gone and there is nothing you can do about it, but learn. You had your reasons for making the decision you made. I believe (and this is just my opinion) that you made the RIGHT decision, but for the wrong reasons and there is nothing wrong with that. Look at the bright side you got a raise and your still doing a job that you like.

Whatever the reason was, that made you decide to stay where you are at,it doesn't matter now. It was a move forward so overall that is good. There are times where we as human beings ask ourselves if we are up to the job at hand. Trust me that is a tough question to ask yourself. most of the times we probably are not really prepared for the job. But see that is also ok, as you will always learn from your experiences and be a better person because of it.

The mistake you made was not doubting yourself as that is natural. It was, not giving yourself the oportunity to even try the position and see if you could have done it (yes maybe with a little hard work).

Don't worry, although you might not get the same oportunity like the one you just let slip by, it's ok. Cause the next one might be much better! Next time I'm sure you wont make the same mistake again and will give yourself a chance to prove that you are up to the job, maybe not to anyone else, but to yourself.

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

Most people keep on doing what they have been doing, then wonder why they keep getting what they have been getting. You are not doing this, so you will not keep getting what you have been getting. The past is gone, it serves only to facilitate learning, remember it, do not repeat it. You will be decades ahead of most.

This same firm you applied with, a year from now, if you walk in and say you have applied yourself, gained the skills, and would like an opportunity, will respect your honesty. Probably try to find you a job. You have not closed this door, but have put them in a position to rely on your honesty in a situation which would benefit you and not them.

You do not always get what you pay for, but you never get what you do not pay for.

I called up the company and explained that I had gotten cold feet and that I would like a second chance to prove to them that I could do this job. I told them that I didn't want to look back on life with regret that I backed away from a great opportunity.

The manager said he would have to discuss this with the team and that he would get back to me tomorrow.

He appreciated my honesty.

You called up the company that offered you the job that you accepted and then turned down, and now ask them for the job again?

You mentioned previously that you want to move them from Access/VB6 to .NET; why? What is the company going to gain by migrating apps to .NET that they don't get with VB6? You mentioned the CEO isn't technical, but surely you will have an immediate manager that will have to approve this migration. What is her/his take on this?

Good Luck!

The main reason to migrate to .NET is to web enable the applications and to enable the customer to be able to run their own reports across the web. Also, they want to provide demos of applications in a customer portal area.

You could do this with ASP but ASP.NET is a far better development environment.

Crystal Reports integrates very well with ASP.NET.

have you heard anything back from the company yet?

les

Yeah, I'm in...luckily.

I didn't really handle this the best at first but I will make up for it by working hard and doing my best.

Congratulations!!!! I Think that your honesty is a quality that is not seen often now a days. I'm sure the company has seen that. You are up to the job don't worry, and when in doubt, read and study! I'm sure everything will go very well for you. Congrats and good luck!

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

You made the right decision, and congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back