Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Job and Certifications 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenalex

Programmer
Apr 25, 2005
AG
Hello,
I have been working in Telecommunications for seven years mainly as a DBA /Developer. I have doing stuff like database tuning, designing and developing database , developing web applications and also design applications that interface with other hardware on mobile network for provisioning.
I have Bachelor in Computer Science and Electronics , but no certifications, but have been on various training sessions in house, and currently doing a Masters in Intelligent Systems.

I am wondering if I am would be at a disadvantage if decide to apply for a job without any certifications.

Ken

Not necessarily. Certifications can help if you are looking for an entry level position. You can describe how your experience is equivalent to certifications.
One thing certifications mean is that you are good at studying for the exams. It doesn't guarantee knowledge nor skill.

OTOH, certifications would not hurt. They could make you look like you are seeking knowledge and improving yourself.

Tom

By the same token, he's working on his master's. That speaks volumes to employers.

A certification just teaches you "one skill". A diploma indicates that you've done a variety of things (including english, math, science, etc.)

Just my 2¢

"What the captain doesn't realize is that we've secretly replaced his Dilithium Crystals with new Folger's Crystals."

--Greg

@Greg

Good point about the Master's. However, know a few people with advanced degrees. That doesn't mean they are capable at the job. My experience is that the more advanced the degree, the more theoretical the knowledge becomes.

Tom

@tcsbiz

I understand what you mean, I have have met people with advance degrees who do not know how to apply their knowledge in practical situations. But I have also met people with a ton of certs who also do not know what to do on the job.

I will eventually get a cert, but what I was r4ally concerned about was if a new employer would consider my experience based on quality of projects I completed and not discount it due to not having a cert.

Ken

@Ken

I think any good employer will regard experience in lieu of certs. It depends on the employer an their viewpoint. I have been excluded from consideration for jobs for not having certs. But, I always regarded those employers as not really worth pursuing.

I think you'll be fine as long as you can articulate how your experience makes up for the lack of certs.

Good luck,
Tom

The time old answer springs to mind - depends on what you want to achieve and where your personal career goals are.
From what I have seen in the changing environment, is there is a lot focus now not just on the technical skills but within process, governance and project management.

I would say that now good all round knowledge is the key, OK certifications are good, however the knowledge and skill sets trump these. It may be worth having a look at some of the online options for IT Service Management and Project Management, which will give a more rounder knowledge base.

Dyls
--------------------
MBA, ITIL v2 Manager/ v3 Expert, PRINCE2, COBIT 5, C|CISO

ITILer,thank you for your input . I have some experience in management projects and I am intending to do a project management course after I have completed Masters degree course I am doing now.

I don't have any certs either. In my field (Oracle programming) they seem to principally test one's knowledge of the syntax of obscure functions (the sort of thing you'd look up on Google in real life) rather than anything I'd characterise as genuine programming skill.

However, I do intend to get a few certs under my belt when I have the time because - however worthless I consider them to be - there may be employers out there who use them to thin out the pile of incoming CVs. You don't want to find your application rejected before anybody's even looked at your Masters degree because you haven't got the basic cert.

-- Chris Hunt
Webmaster & Tragedian
Extra Connections Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back