Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

new isp....more issues than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcsnetwiz

MIS
Feb 7, 2004
US
I have a client that just switched ISP's. I built there network with the first ISP's equipment (cisco 1700 router with a 24 port switch). When they changed ISP's they had to replace the equipment with the new ISP's DSL modem/router (actiontek) and an old 24 port hub. Here is where it gets really messy... when they switched over they could not connect to the domain controller; mapped drives were falling off and connection to the server was poor. I explained that with the new modem/router they had to change the octet to the new router (it was 192.168.1.x and now it changed to 192.168.0.x) All seemed fine. This morning they call me explaining that nothing is working. Okay...I go on site and reconfigure the router with the static IP of the server, rebuild DNS to the new zone restart DNS services, configure the client machines to point to the new IP of the server. Fixed right? NO...well kinda.... The internal LAN is fine; mapped drives are fine etc... but now some external webites are not working and services like msn messenger dont work. WHATS THE DEAL? I double checked the router and Server (WIN2K Advanced) Any thoughts on whats going on? Sorry for the long message... TIA

A

verify that you have your DNS setup with your new ISPs DNS servers as Forwarders.

Check the ActionTec (really crappy in my experience) and make sure there isn't any port filtering going on.

I know I am reading Win2K in your post, but please confirm it is 2K and not 2k3. if 2k3 you will want to check out MSKB 832223.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

I had the new isp's DNS settings in forwarders and on the stack. I can certainly tell the difference between win2k and win2k3 server; I'm sure its win2k adv. srv.
ActionTec is not the best router, I certainly agree with that but its the only option I have. Router does not have any port filtering or forwarders

Any other thought on this frustrating issue? TIA

A

Can you ping out without a problem?

Is DNS resolving to the outside world without a problem?

In your original post, you said some external sites were working and some weren't. If it's not DNS, is it possible it's a down level isp issue that causing your headache?

remove the ISP DNS from the TCP/IP settings. You should just have your own DNS server listed there.

Beyond that I'm sorry I don't have any further suggestions. You might want to check witht he ISP to see if they are doing anything to stop certain web site access.

I hope you find this post helpful. Please let me know if it was.

Regards,

Mark

Micron1090 - ping is fine tracert is fine... but I think I might narrowed the issue down. All sites work except those that require a login and password or sites that are secured. The server cannot get to these sites which is causing the client machines not being able to log in. Anyone seen this before?

A

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back