Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New IP PHone System, 30 Users, Single Location 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

itgourmet

Technical User
Feb 7, 2010
CA
Hi Everyone,

I'm a new user here.

I would like to discuss the merits of Mitel vs. Shoretel with someone who is not selling this equipment, who can give me unbiased information.

I'm from WInnipeg, Manitoba, Canada. A strong local dealer markets Mitel, and a smaller dealer just took on the SHoretel line.

I would be willing to pay for consulting from someone on this forum who can give me unbiased recommendations, including why I should choose one system over the other.

Thank you,

itgourmet

If you ever want to see a system "take down a network", try plugging one switch port into another port on the network.

I did that once in a motel system (mixed the patch cords) and I'll never forget what happens and what it looks like.

So, a little farfetched, but I can easily believe that an IP system could be in the same confused state and tie a network port back to the network.

On one of the other boards, there's a guy trying to put in 200 IP phones! Yeah, I gotta see this. Quick, what's tha formula? 87.2 X 200 = ??? My head is spinning.

LkEErie

LkEErie: you took the network down as patch cables don't loop themselves. But I have seen a perfectly innocent looking patch cable plugged in correctly to an also perfectly innocent looking IP telephone prevent all users on an IP system from making telephone calls.

Back on topic...I know nothing of Mitel and hardly ever touch the Shoretel I have (which says something I suppose) but want to point out something that was noted earlier. The strong dealer selling the Mitel is also the dealer that sold/supported the Toshiba and is now providing poor service for that equipment. I think that attitude is telling. What happens when that strong dealer decides they are going to drop the Mitel product line?

My vote is for shoretel. I appreciate you say the smaller dealer sells it, but for me it was about compatibility. Mitel is difficult to integrate with any outside apps.

Enough with all the bashing of systems already. Lets hear your sales speech. Sell your product.

Every VoIP system has it's up's and downs.

Mitel is feature rich, and can be programmed to your specifications; Nortel BCM is user friendly and has great standard features; I never worked on Shortel; I used to work on the Avaya IP Office (when it was windows, but I hear the Linux systems are better now) love the flash processor - fast.
There are more, but not worthy to state because you want to use certain features... not saying that those systems cannot do the task, but I never had to integrate those features on them.

I personally like the Mitel ICP systems.
Programming is more focused, but that is because you can configure the Mitel anyway possible to fit your needs. Usually there is a tweaking phase, but so are all other systems, because the end user never stated all the features or wants on the system.
You can have access to the system and make changes yourself (Names, Class of Service, Class of Restrictions, Voicemail, all the things that you require to make changes for)... and leave the remainder of the system programming to the Technician.

As KWB stated earlier, find your support - as they are going to be the ones that you have to deal with.

Do you still have to program a mitel via telnet or do they have a real GUI ?

cwc - do you still use a can and string?

Occam's Razor - All things being equal, the simplest solution is the right one.

how about answering the question do you still use putty to program the icp?

cwc3 - The questions are equitable, and in my opinion both are retorical. Let's just say I think you're so far behind the times as to be equivelent to cans and strings.

Now that the bashing is over, you may return to your regular flames. Just not in this thread.

Geeze, I still like the Comdial Impact because you use a terminal to program it without a manual. Those fancy systems are nice, but sometimes all the customer wants is two tin cans and a string...ie the reataurant with no money :)

LkEErie

From what I know the local dealer that has Toshiba and Mitel is squeezing Toshiba out and pushing Mitel due to the kick backs Mitel is offering, so what they are doing is hiking the prices on Toshiba.
What is funny when a set needs to be added to a Mitel you need the set licence which this local dealer charges $170 then you need a v-mail licence which is another $50 then you need to buy the set.
In other words if you feel like spending lots of money buy a Mitel because you never stop paying, example;software assurance. Why do you even have to pay to make sure the software is ok!

WinnPegger - Mitel's SWA enables the owner to upgrade the SW at any time with no SW costs. Not having SWA only prevents upgrades. Compare the cost of SWA to other vendors costs for upgrades and then you'll understand the value.

Wow, after reading this whole thread, I am going to recommend going with some PRI cards in a Asterisk server and do SIP either hard phones of soft phones on the desktop, and forget all about these Mitel/Shoretel vendors. Then you pay for the cards and hard sets, everything else is open source.

HI Everyone,

I want to thank everyone for their answers to my question.

I purchased a Shoretel system from a local dealer. While there are some features that I actually preferred with my old Toshiba system, in general I'm impressed with how easy the system is to use, and the incredible array of features. The quality of the phones is great (I've even got color screens), it's easy to use headphones with them, and the support and installation from the dealer has been great. I love being able to Silently Monitor calls, and record any call by just pressing a button on the phone.

This dealer is amazing. I can call him just about any time, day, night, weekends, and he's available, and if he doesn't have an answer, he finds it quickly. He's also a well known Computer "guru," so he was amazing at helping me to integrate the Shoretel system with my existing network.

He setup three analog fax lines, trained my staff, and has done a terrific job.

I can't say whether or not I would have been as happy with Mitel, but this system is straightforward and user friendly, much more so than my old Toshiba system.

Sometimes going with a smaller company does provide better service than larger companies, because I was never as satisfied with my old Toshiba system, because every time the tech visited, I received an invoice, yet my problems with the Toshiba system never were solved. Plus, I would get different technicians. With the Shoretel dealer, I'm dealing with the owner. He has technicians who work for him, but he's trying to establish Shoretel in Winnipeg, so he's really going the extra mile.

He'll certainly get my highest recommendation for anyone who asks me about my phone system.

Itgourmet

This dealer is amazing. I can call him just about any time, day, night, weekends, and he's available, and if he doesn't have an answer, he finds it quickly."

As I've said all along, the support is as important, if not more important, than the product.

It sounds like you've made the right choice to me.

kwbMitel said:
"This dealer is amazing. I can call him just about any time, day, night, weekends, and he's available, and if he doesn't have an answer, he finds it quickly."

As I've said all along, the support is as important, if not more important, than the product.

It sounds like you've made the right choice to me.

I've got to agree with everyone's "support is critical comments" as I'm a 4 year Toshiba customer who done with the limited options.

I have been looking to get a new system and it's cool to see the almost overwhelming support for Avaya. The big fancy call tracking company we use also does all of our vanity 800 numbers so I'm semi-locked into them and the rep over there is a big fan of Avaya. "Oh yeah I know a guy over there that owes me big favors and will get you the best prices..etc." It seemed like he'd closed the deal without even asking me, but I didn't want to be fast-talked into the decision. Heck in my area the reps that deal with Avaya have lower rates and more techs/bigger customer base. I was just leary of going fully high-tech without more words of praise.

Thanks for the post!! Lots of opinions rock! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back