Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New internet connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

amb3rsil

IS-IT--Management
Aug 13, 2001
GB
Hello,

We are shortly about to get a new internet connection, a cable modem line and a sun box that has been setup by the company who makes it to provide content filtering, firewalling and everything else.

We have two domains an admin and educational.

At present we have an ATI isdn dial on demand router that has two pics in it that takes a cable from both networks which then gives both networks access to the internet.

The new cable modem will be plugged into the sun box and the sun box will then be patched into a switch on the network.

The problem is that although this will provide the educational network with a connection I need the admin network to have it aswell, except they are completely seperate and have their own domains. (different dhcp servers aswell so different range of IPs)

I would put another network card into the sun box, but unfortunately it is being located too far away from the cable from the admin network (this a fibre cable media converted to cat 5 and then hooked into the isdn router at present).

I do not really want to go wireless or run another cable across so Im guessing I need some sort of route allow me to connect the admin network to the education network to share the internet access?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me on this!!

Regards,

Amb3rsil

How many hosts? What sort of traffic would each segment create?

Thanks for the reply however I resolved the problem by making a router with a NT4 server box and two network cards.
If anyone has a similar problem then please let me know and ill be happy to explain what to do.

Thanks to everyone who helped!

Amb3rsil

Place you CABLE MODEM down stream from you switch, ie: on the unlink port. Connect your ADMIN and EDU domains to standard ports on switch.

That's it.

As long as it's all 10/100BaseT TCP/IP protocol on the segments the switch will handle the speed 10/100 side and the uplink port takes care of cable handshaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back