Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New instullation of server 2003 R2 enterprice edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

new2server2003

Technical User
Jul 4, 2008
Hi,
i need help with my new installation of my new windows server 2003 R2 enterpricce edition, my intension use is for a home tutorials towards my MCSE certification (so i have decided to administer all the system in my house with it which is about five ).

Scenerio: i got problems with internet conection (my home internet connection is ADSL broadband {AOL Broadband UK} incorporated with 802.11g wireless), while installing, i was suppose to connect to the internet, by following the guide, but i found out that i could not get connected, tried to install the ADSL modem, but the modem does not support the operating system. so i got stucked.

Question: How do i connect my server with the internet without using my modem, i have tried using dial-up but it seems if i have to use a dial up, it has to be a lease line.can i get any help with this connection.

DOes the AOL CD not like SBS 2003? Access your ADSL modem via the web browser interface. The modem should come with instructions for setting up with a mac, if it does, use those.

If it doesnt come with instructions, open a web browser and try the usual addresses 192.168.0.1 / 192.168.1.1 or 254 etc on both, you should eventually get to a login screen, login and set up ADSL UN & PW manually, you may need to contact AOL helpdesk for your DNS and one or two other bits.

Is it a single modem or a Modem/Router ?

As Noveyron wrote, you may need to remotely connect to you Modem and enable the Nat feature. By Doing so, your modem will turn into a Nat/Router and will assign automatically IP adresses to all your machine.

Hope this help

I would tend to switch off the router DHCP and let the SBS box handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back