Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Installer Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

wardenlc

MIS
May 21, 2001
US
I need to create a new Installer package that will have these steps:

1) Run a setup.exe to install a program.
2) Run 2 .reg files to hack the registry.
3) Copy several files to the client.
4) Run another setup.exe to install a program on top of the first.
5) Copy several more files to the client.
6) Run another .reg file to hack the registry.

Is there an easy way to do this with Installer or can it only be done with the Script Editor?

Thank you very much in advance,
wardenlc

Yep...you'll definitely need to do this in the Script Editor side of SMS Installer. But, using this will simplify some of your steps.

For example, you won't need to apply .reg files. Instead you can use SMS Installer's functionality to apply the registry changes. Rod Trent
- formerly SWYNK.com
Microsoft SMS Installer ISBN:0072124474
Admin911:SMS ISBN:0072130229
IIS 5.0: A Beginner's Guide - ISBN:0072133724

Sorry I took so long to thank you, Rod, but I really appreciate your help.

I have been writing scripts with the Script Editor. I can write scripts and create executables that do what I want but when I try to distribute them with SMS, I get a 10003 error. I looked up that error in TechNet and tried its suggestions to change the program to run under User Rights and to use UNC references instead of paths (Q263279). I've also created several packages with different configurations to see if I could hit on a possible solution.

I don't know what else to try. My site server is SMS 2.0 SP3 (Q235205) on W2K Advanced Server. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be causing my problem? I'm at the end of my rope.

Thanks,

Changing to run with user rights might not work if the user doesn't have that rights to the bits of the registry that you're trying to change.

A better option is to run with admin rights, but select 'Use Windows NT client software installation account' - which you can set through Site Settings> Component Configuration> Software Distribution Properties> General.

Make sure the account is a member of local admins on your workstation.

Although this won't work too well on changes to the user's profile - I usually split scripts into workstation and user components and deliver them seperately.

How are you setting the programs?

Thank you for the response, RippleCom. I tried as you suggested and even tried setting the Windows NT Client Software Installation to a Domain Admin account but I'm still having the same problem.

I've tried setting the program properties to run both the .exe and a .bat that I wrote that runs the .exe, on any platform, with either User or Admin rights (using the Win NT Client Software Installation account), and the default Advanced setting. None of this seems to work.

There must be something else that I am missing. Any help will be appreciated.

Thank you,
wardenlc

I'm assuming that any exe or bat that you're trying to call as a program is actually in the root of the folder that you defined in Package Properties> Data Source> Source Directory - and that you refer to it as a URL.

I've found before that the client doesn't like sub-folders.

It also doesn't like filenames with spaces.

When you are setting up the programs, I assume that you are able to browse for the exe or bat?

The command line for the program properties should refer to just an exe with any command line switches - no URL to the source directory - if you can't browse for it in program properties, chances are that it won't work.

If that doesn't work, I dunno...

RippleCom,

Thank you for taking time to help me with my problem. It is great to know that there are others out there willing to help.

I tried your suggestions, along with a lot of other things I read about, and still had problems. I ended up calling Microsoft. After a 2 1/2 hour call, they came up with an SMS Package, Program, and Advertisement configuration that worked. I think part of my problem was changing more than one thing before an attempt at deployment.

Thanks again,
wardenlc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back