Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New Installation Windows 2000 Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPMOM

Technical User
Jan 6, 2003
US
Had to format hard drive after virus. Have not done new installation a little confused as to steps of new installation. So far we have done the following:
Format C: ending up with a partition as follows:
Local C 23.3 MB Capacity Used 549 KB Free 22.7 MB
Local D 18.6 GB Capacity Used .98 GB Free 17.6 GB
Removable Disk B CD Drive
Drivers F Capacity 627 MB Used 627 MB Free 0
31/2" Floppy A Drive
Windows 2000 Professional is our operating system. What steps do I install software next and where. I will be eventually peer to peer networking this computer. I have a CD burner, a printer, using net thru hub. Using Office 2000 professional. What drive do the programs go on? C or D
Help appreciated

If U where infected with a virus and didn't format all the drives, are U still sure the other drives isn't still infected?
Regarding your question I suppose U dont have checked the other drive (D:\) with a new installation of AntiVirus software
As default Windows is installed on C:\Windows\, and the default Path for Programs is "C:\Program Files\"

Strator

Computer was completely formatted, and is now treated as if it were a new installation. I'm just trying to install the software to get the computer up and running.

ok.
Then it seems to me that U installed Windows on Drive D:\, thinking of the used space.
Then the Program Files folder should be on Drive D:\.
Is that right?

Strator

perhaps i am mistaken, but i think your simply asking how to reinstall win 2k on a hopefully virus clean reformatted partitioned hard drive, the simpliest method if this is the case is to reboot your puter and as it restarts enter into bios control area, select the option to boot from cdrom, save and reboot, when system restarts insert your w2k cd and follow the on screen prompts, when all that is complete you will still have to install drivers for any hardware you may have that w2k doesnt recognize. hope this helps

C3h8: You are right on. I have installed windows 2000 Professional operating system. I need to know what step is next. Do I now install the drivers to the C: drive or the Larger Partition D: drive? Thanks all who responded. I don't normally do this, and we are a small business, trying to save the expense of having someone else do it. Thanks again.

What is your overall harddrive size?

Are you saying that the c: drive is partitioned at 23.3 Megabytes? A harddrive of that size is a bit small to be practical, for most applications.

You might want to reformat, repartition to a single drive letter, or two equal sized partitions. Install to the primary- c:, install drivers also to the c: drive.

Applications and storage can be on the secondary drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back