Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

New installation of VFP9 changed all file associations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

plepkowski

Programmer
Jul 22, 2005
US
I just installed VFP9 without disturbing VFP6.

My first task is to see if it compiles and runs my older VFP6 programs.

In my development directories I usually stick a one line program named FOX.PRG which contains the line SET DIRECTORY TO <this directory>. I clicked it and it loaded VFP9 but it wouldn't run under VFP9! Nothing would run under VFP6 either.

I found that the installation had changed all the file associations to VFP9. I manually changed them back using the control panel.

Q1. Do I have to change additional associations using the DOS ASSOC command? (I'm running under Win 2000 server and some of the VFP9 associations still are in the ASSOC display.

Q2. Is there any easy way to change the required associations, say with a batch file?

Q3. Is it possible to make 2 versions of Fox co-exist?

Q4. Why wouldn't the one liner SET DIRECTORY TO <this directory> run?

Paul

It's common when installing a new version of a program for the file associations to change. In fact, this works with every program I know of.

You can have multiple copies of VFP installed, just put each in a different directory.

What's the exact line of code that didn't work?

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports&quot;

Craig,

The one line program is
set directory to <this directory>

All it does is start VFP and set the directory to the current development directory. It would not run. It didn't generate any error message.

Paul

set directory to <this directory> is not a valid FoxPro command. Can you post exactly what the command is that you are using?

Craig Berntson
MCSD, Visual FoxPro MVP, Author, CrysDev: A Developer's Guide to Integrating Crystal Reports&quot;

Sorry Craig, it's set default to foo

I just ran an interesting experiment. My objective was to start fox and have it treat my development directory as its default. I figured that if I stuck a program named fox.prg in the dev directory and included the one line it would point fox to that directory. I've been doing this for many years with fox (since they were in Maryland).

Now I find that an empty prg works just as well. It points fox to the current directory. Can you beat that?

Paul

SET DIRECTORY TO is an undocumented command that was used in other languages such as dBase, so it may exist for limited conversion compatibility. Being undocumented, do not depend upon it without testing its behavior thoroughly, and besides, future versions may drop support without notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back